Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wheel Motor Electromagnets?

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    I'm doing an independent study for high school, and my project is to build a wheel motor such as the one pictured here (though less complex, obviously). Essentially what I'm trying to do is to make an inverted stepper motor, with the electromagnets on the hub and the permanent magnets on the rim. As my knowledge of electromagnetism is fairly limited, I've been having some trouble making electromagnets strong enough to influence the magnets on the rim. I know the basics of electromagnets (ie. more turns = stronger field, using an iron core), but so far I haven't been able to get the field strength that I need.
    At the moment, I'm using the 30-gauge wire from here, but I haven't been able to find a good core material around where I live. Any advice on where to get good iron cores or general advice about making the electromagnets stronger would be greatly appreciated.
    In addition, I plan on controlling the electromagnets with a stepper motor controller; is this a decent idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2
    With respect if you attempting products such as this you should start by learning more about electromagnetism and about the various types of motors. I think most electric traction.. cars or TGV trains have moved to over to 3 phase AC induction motors and the 3 phase is electronically generated from DC or single phase AC,

4. Sep 23, 2008 #3
    Hi,

Sounds like a fun project! You can get some good magnets and cores by salvaging auto parts. Solenoid cores are usually either iron or steel, and any starter motors will have decent magnets and coils in them. There is a hefty solenoid on most car ignition systems, or the door lock on many washing machines.

I don’t know from your post if your making a proof of concept or the real deal, but if your having problems producing enough force to turn the wheel, then you may consider using a motorcycle back wheel instead as they are lightweight with a broad rim to mount your magnets on. (Its a sad fact that the rear wheel on motorcycles usually survives a crash so they are not hard to get).

Can you post up some pictures of what you have to work with already?

Utwig

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?