1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wheel on a game show force problem

1. Apr 17, 2005 #1
    A wheel on a game show is given an initial angular speed of 1.3 rad/s. It comes to rest after rotating through 3/4 of a turn. Find the average torque exerted on the wheel given that it is a disk of radius 0.80m and mass of 6.4 kg. I worked the matching problem in the book and got the right answer. However when I plugged in my number (the ones above) from my homework it didn't come out right. What is going wrong. I used
    w^2=w(initial)^2 + 2(alpha)(delta theta)
    Then I found I by using I = (1/2)mr^2
    I them multiplied the two answers together to get the torque since
    Torque = I(alpha)

Like I said, this worked to find the answer using the books numbers but it didn't work for my homework. (The books numbers are (W final = 0 rad/s, w initial = 1.22 rad/s, radius is 0.71m. The rest is the same. The answer is 0.25) Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \delta\theta=\frac{3}{4}2\pi \ \mbox{rad}=\frac{3\pi}{2} \ \mbox{rad}[/tex]

[itex]\alpha [/itex] is negative and the torque will be negative is well.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?