1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wheel pivoted about a frictionless axle - moment of inertia, force of axle

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wheel has 4 spokes, see sketch ( http://i44.tinypic.com/213hp52.png ), and is pivoted about the indicated frictionless axle which is perpendicular to the page. The wheel is lifted such that θ = 90° (above the negative y axis) and released from rest. What is the force (magnitude and direction) the axle exerts on the wheel when θ = 30° (above the negative y axis)? (Treat the wheel as a uniform thin ring of radius R and mass M and the 4 spokes as uniform thin rods of mass M.)

2. Relevant equations

ΔK + ΔU = -fkd + ƩW
    F = ma
    Ʃτ = Iα
    MIwheel = MR^2 + MR^2 = 2MR^2
    MIrod1 = ML^2/3
    MIrod2 = ML^2/12 + m(L/2)^2 = ML^2/3 (parallel-axis theorem?)

3. The attempt at a solution

What I think I'm supposed to do is use the torque equation to find α, then use Rα = a to get acceleration, and plug that into F = ma? But I am unsure as to how to implement the moment of inertia of the rods. I was thinking that instead of looking at the rods as 4 small rods, I could look at them as 2 larger rods of length 2R. So could the equation look something like Ʃτ = (Iwheel + Irod1 + Irod2)α, where Irod1 is the inertia of the rod with the axle at its end (MI = ML2/3) and Irod2 is the inertia of the rod rotating around the axle but not touching it (also MI = ML2/3)? I'm not sure if my equation there is even legal, and I am unsure if i have the moment of inertia of the second rod correct. I also have a free-body diagram where Faxle = ma + mgcosθ. As you can see I am completely lost :cry:. Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted