Troubleshooting Your Kickped Kick Scooter: Common Wheel Issues Explained"

• Thread starter LongApple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary: Get a professional to look at it, they might be able to tell you more. In summary, when side-by-side walking, the front wheel moves more easily than the back wheel. When the user stands on the scooter and uses it at its usual speed, the back wheel does not move as fast. The problem may be with the bearings.
LongApple
http://www.nycewheels.com/kickped-kick-scooter.html

When I walk side by side the kickbed scooter without standing on the scooter, the front wheels moves and back wheel does not. When I stand on the scooter and use it at usual, it moves, though not as fast as before.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with bearings but I thought maybe it would make sense to get a better idea of how wheels work in general.

1. What are some things I should try?

2. What could be some reasons the back wheel seems to not roll as well and

3. What products should I use or who should I show the scooter to who can diagnose the problem?

http://www.nycewheels.com/kickped-kick-scooter.htmlFront wheel

upload_2015-1-31_23-58-20.png

Back wheel doesn't roll as well as it used to
upload_2015-1-31_23-57-24.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Short version:

In a two wheel device, if one wheel turns more easily than the other, why? What parts are in trouble and what should be done?

Is the rear brake rubbing until you stand on the platform and then the brake unloads?
You may possibly have bearing issues in the rear

>Is the rear brake rubbing until you stand on the platform and then the brake unloads?

No.

Also I have almost never used the break.

What are some next steps to diagnose the problem?

If the brake isn't dragging, disassemble the rear wheel

Dennis C said:
If the brake isn't dragging, disassemble the rear wheel

Part of the problem is my vocabulary and understanding. Why do we talk about the break? I never use it and never intend to use it. I don't know what "break dragging" means either. If I had to guess, I would bet the break isn't the problem because I never use it.

The rear wheel doesn't move. Unless you push on it very hard. I imagine something somehow gunking up or stuck inside some part of the wheel or some part of the wheel doesn't roll well because something is worn down. I bet the snow/mud I went through has something to do with it but I am not sure.

I've been looking for a good animation and picture to explain how wheels work especially the inside but still don't understand. What kind of things do you use to dissasemble a scooter wheel or is that even the right course of action.

Evidently there are these giant magical balls inside of the wall that somehow make it roll better? How do you damage bearings?

http://www.youblob.com/content/bearings-explained

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wheel+bearings+explained

Last edited by a moderator:
LongApple said:
Part of the problem is my vocabulary and understanding. Why do we talk about the break? I never use it and never intend to use it. I don't know what "break dragging" means either.
If the brake is touching the wheel while the wheel is trying to move, the wheel won't move as fast as it would if it spins freely.

LongApple said:
I imagine something somehow gunking up or stuck inside some part of the wheel or some part of the wheel doesn't roll well because something is worn down. I bet the snow/mud I went through has something to do with it but I am not sure.
I think you might be right.

LongApple said:
Evidently there are these giant magical balls inside of the wall that somehow make it roll better? How do you damage bearings?
The "giant magical balls" in a bearing help with rolling because there's not as much rubbing together to cause friction. The balls theoretically only touch at a single point (in reality the balls flatten a tiny bit) so things can spin more freely. There's lots of different types of bearings, but the main idea is to reduce parts rubbing together (friction).

Last edited:
LongApple said:
Short version:

In a two wheel device, if one wheel turns more easily than the other, why? What parts are in trouble and what should be done?

Variants:
1) Keep in mind that walking side by side means pushing the top of the handle, this transfers torque around the front wheel, which means a small torque will be transferred to the rear wheel trying to push it up. the bigger the front wheel friction, the greater the transfer of torque. For visualization just block the front wheel via a rock in front and push it by the handle forward. So a big culprit could be your front wheel friction (bearings, etc.)

2) Rear wheel friction (bearings, etc.), easily tested by spinning it and observing the time it takes to slow down. (I don't know how to tell you to measure this, but you can compare with the front wheel)

1. What is a wheel question?

A wheel question is a type of scientific inquiry that focuses on understanding the relationship between variables. It involves manipulating one variable (independent variable) and observing how it affects another variable (dependent variable). This process is often depicted as a wheel, with the independent variable being the "driver" that turns the wheel and causes changes in the dependent variable.

2. How are wheel questions different from other types of scientific questions?

Unlike other types of scientific questions that aim to explore a specific phenomenon or test a hypothesis, wheel questions focus on understanding the connections between variables. They involve manipulating variables to see how they influence each other and do not necessarily have a specific hypothesis to test.

3. What are some examples of wheel questions?

Some examples of wheel questions include: "How does the amount of sunlight affect the growth of plants?", "What is the relationship between exercise and heart rate?", and "How does the concentration of salt in water affect the boiling point?" These questions all involve manipulating one variable (sunlight, exercise, and salt concentration) and observing how it affects another variable (plant growth, heart rate, and boiling point).

4. What is the purpose of asking a wheel question?

The purpose of asking a wheel question is to better understand the relationship between variables and how they influence each other. By manipulating one variable and observing the changes in another, scientists can gain insight into the underlying mechanisms and processes that govern a particular phenomenon.

5. How do scientists conduct experiments to answer wheel questions?

To answer a wheel question, scientists typically design and conduct experiments. This involves identifying the independent and dependent variables, controlling other factors that may affect the outcome (called control variables), and collecting and analyzing data. The results of the experiment can then be used to draw conclusions and inform further research or applications.