Slipping 4WD Mobile Vehicle Wheels Without Oil or Water

In summary, the mobile vehicle robot is trying to make the floor slippery so the wheel will slip. There are several ways to make the floor slippery, including using snowboard waxing, using drafting powder, and water based lubricants. The wheels must spin under power or the robot will not be able to move.
uaefame
Hello Everyone,

I have a 4WD mobile vehicle, I am trying to get the wheel to slip in the floor.

I don't want to use oil or any water product (for my electronic safety and to keep the floor less messy)

Any idea how to make the wheel slip on the floor?

I was thinking about using snowboard waxing but not sure if that is a good idea.

Any idea is welcome here

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Is there a language problem here ?
The floor ? The internal floor of the vehicle, the roadway or the ground ?
Which wheel ? The spare wheel, one or all road wheels ?
Is the wheel lying flat or on the tread ? It only takes one or two slim rollers to slide a wheel.

For clarification > 1- laboratory floor 2- If the floor is slippery, all wheel should have a hard time gripping (Any wheel)
3- http://www.robotshop.com/en/dfrobot-4wd-arduino-mobile-platform.html (This mobile vehicle look similar)

My question again, how to make the laboratory floor slippery for a mobile vehicle robot?
I am not trying to use oil or soap or any liquid, trying to keep the laboratory floor clean

Any idea ?

Fit outriggers with castor wheels and height adjustment .

uaefame said:
Any idea ?
What coefficient of friction do you require?

Make the tyres from hard plastic rather than rubber.

Or for a more quick and dirty solution, put tape around the current wheels. Different tapes will have different COF's.

Can you wrap the wheels in fabric? Is this floor a waxed or polished floor? You would get the same effect of socks on a polished floor.

The added benefit is that you can scuff up parts of the floor to increase friction.

Is a powder acceptable? Drafting powder is basically finely divided erasers. It makes pretty much any surface slide against any other. Corn meal is used for the same effect on shuffleboards.

BoB

I tried powder altering the floor seem to give minimum slippage barely noticeable,

I need to use rubber wheel,

So my option is to change the floor,

I tried the never wet solution but still no luck

any material that has low coefficient of friction with rubber would be great?

uaefame said:
any material that has low coefficient of friction with rubber would be great?
If you must use rubber wheels then water based lubricants are really the only choice. Anything else will probably chemically damage the rubber and cause it to swell.

Do you want the wheels to spin under power, or do you want them to slide sideways?
Why can you not simply disconnect the drive shafts to the wheels?
Why must you use rubber wheels and then eliminate the good grip they are designed to provide?

Maybe you should explain what you are trying to do, rather than applying the same arbitrary constraints that are preventing you resolving the problem yourself.

1. How does a 4WD vehicle's wheels slip without oil or water?

When a 4WD vehicle's wheels slip without oil or water, it is typically due to a lack of traction between the tires and the ground. This can be caused by various factors such as slick or uneven terrain, low tire pressure, or worn-out tires.

2. Can slipping wheels cause damage to the vehicle?

Yes, slipping wheels can cause damage to the vehicle if not addressed. When the wheels slip, it puts a strain on the engine and drivetrain, which can lead to mechanical issues over time. It can also cause the tires to wear unevenly, reducing their lifespan.

3. How can I prevent my 4WD vehicle's wheels from slipping without using oil or water?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent your 4WD vehicle's wheels from slipping without using oil or water. These include regularly checking and maintaining your tire pressure, using high-quality tires with good tread, and driving cautiously on slick or uneven terrain.

4. What are some signs that my 4WD vehicle's wheels are slipping?

Some common signs that your 4WD vehicle's wheels may be slipping include a loss of traction or control while driving, a decrease in fuel efficiency, and unusual noises coming from the engine or drivetrain. It is important to address these signs promptly to avoid potential damage to your vehicle.

5. Can I use alternative methods to prevent my 4WD vehicle's wheels from slipping?

Yes, there are alternative methods you can use to help prevent your 4WD vehicle's wheels from slipping. These include using sand or kitty litter to create traction on slick surfaces, installing snow chains on your tires during snowy conditions, and investing in specialized off-road tires for improved grip on rough terrain.