Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wheel Slippage

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    Hello Everyone,

I have a 4WD mobile vehicle, I am trying to get the wheel to slip in the floor.

I don't want to use oil or any water product (for my electronic safety and to keep the floor less messy)

Any idea how to make the wheel slip on the floor?

I was thinking about using snowboard waxing but not sure if that is a good idea.

Any idea is welcome here

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Welcome to PF.
    Is there a language problem here ?
    The floor ? The internal floor of the vehicle, the roadway or the ground ?
    Which wheel ? The spare wheel, one or all road wheels ?
    Is the wheel lying flat or on the tread ? It only takes one or two slim rollers to slide a wheel.

4. Sep 15, 2015 #3
    For clarification > 1- laboratory floor 2- If the floor is slippery, all wheel should have a hard time gripping (Any wheel)
    3- http://www.robotshop.com/en/dfrobot-4wd-arduino-mobile-platform.html (This mobile vehicle look similar)

My question again, how to make the laboratory floor slippery for a mobile vehicle robot?
    I am not trying to use oil or soap or any liquid, trying to keep the laboratory floor clean

Any idea ?

5. Sep 15, 2015 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fit outriggers with castor wheels and height adjustment .

6. Sep 15, 2015 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

What coefficient of friction do you require?

7. Sep 15, 2015 #6
    Make the tyres from hard plastic rather than rubber.

8. Sep 15, 2015 #7

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Or for a more quick and dirty solution, put tape around the current wheels. Different tapes will have different COF's.

9. Sep 15, 2015 #8

rbelli1

Gold Member

Can you wrap the wheels in fabric? Is this floor a waxed or polished floor? You would get the same effect of socks on a polished floor.

The added benefit is that you can scuff up parts of the floor to increase friction.

Is a powder acceptable? Drafting powder is basically finely divided erasers. It makes pretty much any surface slide against any other. Corn meal is used for the same effect on shuffleboards.

BoB

10. Oct 20, 2015 #9
    I tried powder altering the floor seem to give minimum slippage barely noticeable,

I need to use rubber wheel,

So my option is to change the floor,

I tried the never wet solution but still no luck

any material that has low coefficient of friction with rubber would be great?

11. Oct 20, 2015 #10

Baluncore

Science Advisor

12. Oct 22, 2015 #11

Baluncore

Science Advisor

If you must use rubber wheels then water based lubricants are really the only choice. Anything else will probably chemically damage the rubber and cause it to swell.

Do you want the wheels to spin under power, or do you want them to slide sideways?
    Why can you not simply disconnect the drive shafts to the wheels?
    Why must you use rubber wheels and then eliminate the good grip they are designed to provide?

Maybe you should explain what you are trying to do, rather than applying the same arbitrary constraints that are preventing you resolving the problem yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook