Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wheel Torque

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    I just need a little help going about solving this problem. This is first problem in this lesson, and it is driving me crazy. Any help would be great!

A 3000 lb car is accelerated from 0 to 60mph in 10 seconds. Find the torque needed if the car has wheels of 1 ft. Ans (825 ft lbs)

We know that T (torque) = Force X radius X sin (theta), but it doesnt seem that the equation is helpful in this problem.
    Thanks,

Dan

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2
    The force that accelarated the car also made the wheels turn, and this force is in the "horizontal" direction.

4. Jun 1, 2006 #3
    I guess I'm still a little confused. If the car went from 0 to 60 in 10 seconds, then the acceleration must be 6 feet/sec^2. So if the mass of the car is 3000/32 or 93.75 the force acting on the car is m X a = 562.5 lbs. This is where I get stuck. Thanks again for the quick response!

Dan

5. Jun 1, 2006 #4
    60 mph is approximately 88 ftps.

6. Jun 1, 2006 #5
    Wow, I cant believe I missed that. Thanks again so much for the help and the quick replies.

Dan

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook