1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wheel Torque

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    I just need a little help going about solving this problem. This is first problem in this lesson, and it is driving me crazy. Any help would be great!

A 3000 lb car is accelerated from 0 to 60mph in 10 seconds. Find the torque needed if the car has wheels of 1 ft. Ans (825 ft lbs)

We know that T (torque) = Force X radius X sin (theta), but it doesnt seem that the equation is helpful in this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2
    The force that accelarated the car also made the wheels turn, and this force is in the "horizontal" direction.
  4. Jun 1, 2006 #3
    I guess I'm still a little confused. If the car went from 0 to 60 in 10 seconds, then the acceleration must be 6 feet/sec^2. So if the mass of the car is 3000/32 or 93.75 the force acting on the car is m X a = 562.5 lbs. This is where I get stuck. Thanks again for the quick response!

5. Jun 1, 2006 #4
    60 mph is approximately 88 ftps.
  6. Jun 1, 2006 #5
    Wow, I cant believe I missed that. Thanks again so much for the help and the quick replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?