When an Engineer Says... What He Really Means

In summary, an engineer may use a variety of phrases to convey different meanings. For example, "a number of good approaches are being tried" could mean that they are still unsure of the solution. "Close project co-ordination" could simply mean that they had a casual conversation. "An extensive effort is being applied on a fresh approach to the problem" could imply that they just hired new employees to work on the issue. "Major technological break-through" could actually mean that the project has failed and they need to start over. "Customer satisfaction is believed assured" could suggest that the project is behind schedule. "Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive" could indicate that the project did not work. "Test results were extremely gratifying
alane1994
When an Engineer says...He really means...
A number of good approaches are being tried.We're still guessing at this point.
Close project co-ordination.We sat down and had coffee together.
An extensive effort it being applied on a fresh approach to the problem.We just hired three new guys; we'll let them kick it around for a while.
Major technological break-through!Back to the drawing board.
Customer satisfaction is believed assured.We are so far behind schedule that the customer was happy to get anything at all from us.
Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive.The darn thing blew up when we threw the switch.
Test results were extremely gratifying.It works, and are we very surprised!
The entire concept will have to be abandoned.The only guy who understood the thing quit.
It is in process.It is so wrapped up in red tape that the situation is hopeless.
We will look into it.Forget it, we have enough problems already.
Please note and initial.Let's spread the responsibility for this.
Please give us the benefit of your thinking.We'll listen to what you have to say, as long as it doesn't interfere with what we've already done or with what we are about to do.
Give us your interpretation.We can't wait to hear your bull.
See me. Let's discuss.Come to my office, I've screwed up again.
All new.Parts are not interchangeable with previous design.
Rugged.Don't plan to lift it without major equipment.
Robust.Rugged, only more so.
Light-weight.Slightly lighter than Rugged.
Years of development.One finally worked. It was discovered by accident.
Energy saving.Achieved when the power switch is off.
No maintenance.Impossible to fix.
Low maintenance.Nearly impossible to fix.
Fax me that data.I'm too lazy to write it down.
We are following the standard.We're not innovative.
I didn't get your e-mailI haven't checked my e-mail for days.
Project slightly behind schedule due to unforseen difficulties.We are working on something else.
The designs are well within allowable limits.We just made it, stretching a point or two.
The design will be finalized in the next reporting period.We haven't started this job yet, but we've got to say something.
A number of different approaches are being tried.We don't know where we're going, but we're moving.
Modifications are underway to correct certain minor difficulties.We threw the whole thing out and are starting from scratch.

What is the purpose of "When an Engineer Says... What He Really Means"?

The purpose of "When an Engineer Says... What He Really Means" is to provide insight into the language and communication style of engineers. It is intended to help non-engineers better understand the meaning behind certain phrases and statements commonly used by engineers.

Is this a scientific or technical resource?

No, "When an Engineer Says... What He Really Means" is not a scientific or technical resource. It is a humorous and lighthearted take on the language of engineers, and should not be used as a serious reference for technical or scientific information.

Are the translations in "When an Engineer Says... What He Really Means" accurate?

While the translations in "When an Engineer Says... What He Really Means" are based on common stereotypes and jokes about engineers, they should not be taken as absolute truths. Every engineer is different and may have their own unique way of communicating.

Can "When an Engineer Says... What He Really Means" be used to understand all engineers?

No, "When an Engineer Says... What He Really Means" should not be used as a definitive guide to understanding all engineers. It is meant to be a fun and light-hearted look at the common phrases used by engineers, but should not be taken as a representation of all engineers' communication styles.

Can I use the translations in "When an Engineer Says... What He Really Means" in a professional setting?

While the translations in "When an Engineer Says... What He Really Means" may be accurate in some cases, it is not recommended to use them in a professional setting. This resource is intended for entertainment purposes only and should not be used in a serious or formal setting.