Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When are groups finite?

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    Is it true that cyclic groups with [tex]x^n = 1[/tex] the only finite groups (with order n)?

I've been experimenting with a few groups and I think this is true but I'm not sure.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you looked at the permutation groups Sn, dihedral groups Dn (symmetries of regular polygons), etc.?

In fact, almost all finite groups are non-abelian, so the cyclic groups are just very few in number.

4. Jun 27, 2010 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The finite groups are completely categorized. See for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_finite_simple_groups

Or, I strongly recommend Mark Ronan's book, "Symmetry and the Monster". It is a good read of this fascinating subject.

5. Jun 28, 2010 #4
    There are as many cyclic groups ([itex]\aleph_0[/itex]) as finite groups. By, "almost all finite groups are non-abelian", do you mean [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}a_n/g_n=0[/itex], where [itex]a_n[/itex] is the number of abelian groups of order [itex]\leq n[/itex] and [itex]g_n[/itex] is the number of groups of order [itex]\leq n[/itex]? (This doesn't seem likely.)

6. Jun 28, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Given any n, there certainly exists a cylic group of order n.

It is also true that if p is a prime number then then the only group of order p is the cylic group.

But if n is NOT prime, then there exist other, non-cyclic, groups of order n.

The simplest example is for n= 4. The "Klein 4-group" is not cyclic.

The Klein 4-group has 4 members, e, a, b, c satifying
    ee= e, ea= a, eb= b, ec= c (e is the identity)
    ae= a, aa= e, ab= c, ac= b
    be= b, ba= c, bb= e, bc= a
    ce= c, ca= b, cb= a, cc= e

The fact that every element is its own inverse proves this group is not cyclic.

Any group of order 4 is isomorphic either to the cyclic group of order 4 or to the Klein four-group.

7. Jun 28, 2010 #6
    Then again it doesn't seem unlikely. Has it been proved?

The non-abelian groups of orders 2n will probably arrange it by themselves (e.g. there are over ten times as many non-abelian groups of order 1024 as there are other groups up to and including 1024) so this may not be too difficult to prove.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook