1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When calculating the P-value, must you change the sign of the test statistic?

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When calculating the P-value, must you change the sign of the test statistic depending on the type of test (lower, upper)?

For example, if your calculated test statistic is t=2.5 and you want to perform a lower-tailed test, is your answer the cumulative probability of 2.5 or -2.5?

I ask because there are no similar examples in my textbook. All the problems for lower-tailed tests use negative test statistic values, and all the problems for upper-tailed tests use positive test statistic values.

There is one odd-numbered problem asking for an upper tailed test with z= -2.2, and the answer is given as the complement of the cumulative probability of -2.2. since this is the only problem like this given, I don't know if it is right or not.

Because if so, then I get answers such as 0.9983 for the P-value.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?