1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When calculating the probability using P(x)=[tex]\varphi[/tex](x)dx, do I need to:

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    . . . normalize the wave function first? So I will really be finding the probability of
    [tex]\varphi[/tex]/(normalization constant)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2
    Re: when calculating the probability using P(x)=[tex]\varphi[/tex](x)dx, do I need to

Well when we normalize a wave function we are correcting it by a constant such that it physically makes sense.

I mean it's physically nonsense to talk about a wave function that isn't normalized.

But at the same time the normalization is contained in the wave function itself so you wont have [tex]\frac{\psi}{const}[/tex] you just have [tex]\psi[/tex] which when we integrate the square of the wave function over all space equals 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook