When can I change the order of plim and Lim?

• Thread starter cuak2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the conversation is about the order of probability and pointwise limits of a sequence of i.i.d. random variables. The general question is difficult to answer and the particular question involves checking if all the limits exist and providing a counterexample. The issue of taking the limit of a random variable is also discussed.
cuak2000
Hi. I have two questions, one general and one particular.

1) The general one is if you know or can give me a reference of when can I change the order of a probability limit and the pointwise limit of a function (assuming both plim and lim exist)
Say, take a sequence [itex] X_n(k) [/itex] of i.i.d. random variables that are a function of some variable k. In what case is

[itex]
plim_{n \rightarrow \infty }(lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} X_n(k) ) = lim_{k \rightarrow \infty }(plim_{n \rightarrow \infty} X_n(k) ) [/itex]

2) The particular one is: if I know that

[itex] lim_{k \rightarrow \infty }(plim_{n \rightarrow \infty} X_n(k) ) = \infty [/itex]

can I assure also that

[itex] plim_{n \rightarrow \infty }(lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} X_n(k) ) = \infty [/itex] ??

(i realize using infinity here is rather sloppy, but I hope it doesn't cause confusion)

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
We must check whether all the limits exist in the first place.Although the general question is difficult to answer,I have a counterexample for the second ( where the second limit doesn't exist).

Thanks for your reply Eynstone.
Now I think the general problem is that lim[plim(X)]] makes sense (if both limits
exist at least), but that plim[lim(X)] maybe doesn't, since I'm not sure you can take a lim of a random variable.

1. When can I change the order of plim and Lim?

The order of plim and Lim can be changed when the limit of the sequence exists. This means that both plim and Lim must converge to the same value in order for the order to be changed.

2. Can I always change the order of plim and Lim?

No, the order of plim and Lim can only be changed when the limit of the sequence exists. If the limit does not exist, then the order cannot be changed.

3. What is the difference between plim and Lim?

Plim stands for "probability limit" and is used in the context of probability theory. It measures the limit of a sequence of random variables, and is often used in statistical inference. Lim, on the other hand, stands for "limit" and is used in the context of calculus. It measures the limit of a sequence of real numbers.

4. Why is it important to understand when the order of plim and Lim can be changed?

Understanding when the order of plim and Lim can be changed is important because it affects the validity of mathematical operations and proofs. If the order is changed incorrectly, it can lead to incorrect results and conclusions.

5. How can I determine if I can change the order of plim and Lim?

You can determine if you can change the order of plim and Lim by checking if the limit of the sequence exists. If the limit exists, then you can change the order. If the limit does not exist, then you cannot change the order.