When did "eight hours of sleep per day" become an accepted guideline?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per Sleep
In summary, the saying "most people need eight hours of sleep per day" is found in a source from 1826. The idea of needing eight hours of sleep originated as a rule of thumb before there was any scientific research to support it. The notion arose after the widespread use of electric lighting - when people acquired an alternative to going to sleep when it became dark and getting up at sunrise. Modern research has more detailed guidelines on how much sleep people need.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
When was the notion that most people need eight hours of sleep per day popularized? Was it a rule of thumb before there was any scientific research to support it? Did the notion arise after the widespread use of electric lighting - when people acquired an alternative to going to sleep when it became dark and getting up at sunrise?

I gather modern research had more detailed guidelines. https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/how_much_sleep.html

Physics news on Phys.org
8 hours - There are biochemical reasons related to the removal of potentially damaging compounds that build up during the day. -Matthew Walker, "Why we sleep?"
See disccussion: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/questions-about-the-book-why-we-sleep.978718/#post-6250372

The "8 hours" predates sleep research, started with the advent of Western timekeeping, I'm told. Correct time is essential for navigators to determine longitude. Per google, an ngrams search shows the saying must predate 1800, try doing your own search using ngrams
https://books.google.com/ngrams/

Likes WWGD and Stephen Tashi
I just feel like doodoo if I haven't slept at least 7 hours. I usually don't even need an alarm clock, I'm mostly awake after 7.5 hours. As for why, I don't know. My guess is the "8 hours a day" is some kind of heuristic argument for as much as I've looked into the topic, it's not well understood why we need sleep.

This is pure speculation; but I would have thought quite a lot of indirect "research" would have been done by the military throughout history?
Commanders would presumably have known roughly how much sleep/rest their soldiers would have needed to be efficient, and how lack of sleep would affect them.

[edit/rework]
f95toli said:
This is pure speculation; but I would have thought quite a lot of indirect "research" would have been done by the military throughout history?
I would think so.
Commanders would presumably have known roughly how much sleep/rest their soldiers would have needed to be efficient, and how lack of sleep would affect them.
Yes, but not more with the goal of managing sleep deprivation than the goal of ensuring consistent, suefficient sleep. Soldiers/sailors don't get to decide when to get shot at. As a result, sleep deprivation is the norm in training and combat.

Last edited:
Leading to the ancient military wisdom:
Never run when you can walk.
Never walk when you can stand.
Never stand when you can sit.
Never sit when you can lay down.

I wish more studies were done on sleep or at least easily available/accessible.

I think this is much like dietary requirements, each person has different needs. Yet we all need to eat/sleep.

Personally I think I do better on polyphasic sleep cycles. *Shugs*

I have trouble getting uninterrupted sleep. After 2-3 hrs of sleep , I am wide awake. Would be nice to enter into REM at will and hopefully cut down on the total amount needed.

I generally wake up before the eight hour mark or alarm clock and usually cannot fall back asleep once awake. Quality sleep is challenging, I’m a very light sleeper 💤

1. When did the concept of "eight hours of sleep per day" first emerge?

The concept of "eight hours of sleep per day" emerged during the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century. Prior to this, people typically slept in two shifts, with a period of wakefulness in between.

2. Who first proposed the idea of "eight hours of sleep per day"?

The idea of "eight hours of sleep per day" was first proposed by a Welsh social reformer named Robert Owen in the early 19th century. He believed that workers should have a balanced schedule of eight hours of work, eight hours of leisure, and eight hours of rest.

3. Did the concept of "eight hours of sleep per day" immediately become widely accepted?

No, the concept of "eight hours of sleep per day" was not immediately accepted. It faced resistance from factory owners who wanted their workers to work longer hours, and from workers who were used to the two-shift sleep pattern. It took several decades for the idea to become widely accepted.

4. How did the idea of "eight hours of sleep per day" become an accepted guideline?

The idea of "eight hours of sleep per day" became an accepted guideline through a combination of social and political factors. Labor movements and worker protests pushed for better working conditions, including a set amount of hours for work and rest. As the concept gained more attention and support, it eventually became a standard for work and rest schedules.

5. Is "eight hours of sleep per day" still considered the ideal amount of sleep?

While "eight hours of sleep per day" is still considered a general guideline for adults, the ideal amount of sleep can vary from person to person. Factors such as age, lifestyle, and overall health can affect the amount of sleep needed. It is important for individuals to listen to their own bodies and adjust their sleep patterns accordingly.