When did humans develop umbilical cords in the womb?

• Thread starter PRBot.Com
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the development and purpose of umbilical cords in humans and other species. The participants also discussed the uniqueness of the person they were speaking to and the topic of smoking. Some participants questioned the relevance of the conversation and others mentioned exceptions in the animal kingdom.
PRBot.Com
At what point on the evolutionary ladder did humans develop ambilical cords in the woumb?

Are there other species which have ambilical cords?

What is the explanation for lack of ambilical cords in other species and why we need it during the fetus development.

This is an area of science I never had the time to study. Are there any books on this very subject?

Biology news on Phys.org
I think I'm in love. Can I just follow you around and listen to you speak all day? You fascinate me. I just want to cut you up into little bitty pieces and watch your brain work it's magic. I'll bet you asked this question because you don't have a belly button right? no "ambilical" cords for you. You are new and unique.

Quit smoking that ****.

and pass it back? I've been clean for years. Now I know why. I need a clear mind to appreciate just how special you are.

Uhm PRBot, virtually all mammals have Umbilical cords.

Last edited:
What's happening here...?

Tribdog, you are just the joy in everyone's eyes arent you.

All mammals have cords. Do they not?

dekoi said:
What's happening here...?

Tribdog, you are just the joy in everyone's eyes arent you.

All mammals have cords. Do they not?
I can only think of two mammals that are exceptions, the duck billed platypus and the spiny anteater which are egg bearing exceptions.

Is this thread on Candid Camera?

no the camera is down in the alternative energy post.

tribdog said:
no the camera is down in the alternative energy post.
Yeah, I think we've had enough of this nonsense.

1. When does the umbilical cord form in the womb?

The umbilical cord forms around week 5 of pregnancy, when the embryo is about the size of a sesame seed.

2. How does the umbilical cord develop during pregnancy?

The umbilical cord is formed from the yolk sac and the allantois, two structures that are present in the early stages of embryonic development. These structures fuse together to form the umbilical cord, which connects the developing embryo to the placenta.

3. What is the function of the umbilical cord in the womb?

The umbilical cord serves as a lifeline for the developing fetus, providing it with essential nutrients and oxygen from the mother's blood supply. It also removes waste products from the fetus.

4. Is the umbilical cord important after birth?

Yes, the umbilical cord is important after birth as it is used to cut off the connection between the mother and the baby. The remaining stump of the umbilical cord will eventually fall off, leaving behind the belly button.

5. Can the umbilical cord be a source of health problems for the baby?

In rare cases, the umbilical cord can become tangled or compressed, which can lead to health issues for the baby. However, these cases are uncommon and can usually be detected and managed by healthcare professionals during pregnancy.