Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When did set theory prevail?

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1
    Dear members,

it has recently been put forth to me the question as to when and by which means did it become clear to the majority of logicians and mathematicians that set theory prevailed over Russell's theory of types (as in Principia)?

(By set theory I mean as in the axioms of Zermelo-Fraenkel's or ZFC, NBG etc.)

Not being an expert, I wasn't exactly secure as to how to answer this question. Both Whitehead-Russell's and Zermelo-Fraenkel's axioms are victims to Gödel's second Incompleteness theorem, with the difference that the consistency of ZFC can be proved by assuming the existence of an inaccessible cardinal.

What are your views on this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IN what sense was the question put to you? Examined essay or just general inquiry? I doubt there is a date, but I an explain the reasons why it is preferred, or at least for my money, the main reason: ZF(C) etc are now in a form (axiomatic) that agrees with other styles of mathematics and is of minimal complexity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?