When did they start letting pretty girls in?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the Today show story discussed how cats have started appearing in MIT dorms. Every girl they showed was drop dead gorgeous. The article says that this began around 5 minutes after the girls were hired from an agency and a few days after MIT's PR dept heard there were going to be cameras. The article goes on to say that while there are plenty of smart girls who are attractive, there are still not many hot mechanical engineers at the school. This has happened multiple times in one of my classes, and it's hilarious.
tribdog
I just saw a Today show story about cats in MITs dorms. Every girl they showed was drop dead gorgeous. when did they start letting smart girls be pretty?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alas, they still don't let smart guys be hot.

I'm sending you a friend request.

tribdog said:
when did they start letting smart girls be pretty?
About 5mins after they were hired from an agency and a couple of days after MIT's PR dept heard there were going to be cameras.

Now, now, there are plenty of smart girls that are attractive.

I think most smart guys are hot.

haha I have had the similar experience here at sdsu. we are known for having some of the hottest girls in the country but atlas they are not engineers. In most of my glass the guys out number the girls 40 to 1. Last semester, one the first day of heat transfer class this drop dead gorgeous blond walks into my class and sits down. Needless to say all the guys start whispering to one another. Well after about 20 minutes into the class, after the professor has gone over some elementary (and very easy) differential equations related to heat transfer the girl has this look of utter horror on her face. It turns out she was a com major and just happen to sit in the wrong class...in summary why can't there be any hot mechanical engineers here at my school. I am sure they exists but i have seen none so far :(

tribdog said:
I'm sending you a friend request.

Haha granted

Evo said:
I think most smart guys are hot.

Ya smart is definitely hot, but, a lot of really smart guys are... how do I say.. unattractive.. physically...

physicophile said:
haha I have had the similar experience here at sdsu. we are known for having some of the hottest girls in the country but atlas they are not engineers. In most of my glass the guys out number the girls 40 to 1. Last semester, one the first day of heat transfer class this drop dead gorgeous blond walks into my class and sits down. Needless to say all the guys start whispering to one another. Well after about 20 minutes into the class, after the professor has gone over some elementary (and very easy) differential equations related to heat transfer the girl has this look of utter horror on her face. It turns out she was a com major and just happen to sit in the wrong class...in summary why can't there be any hot mechanical engineers here at my school. I am sure they exists but i have seen none so far :(
This is utterly hilarious.

physicophile said:

This has happened like 5-6 times in my class. We also have 40 to 1 ratio and no female professor.

I was just thinking other day that on average 4 girls: 1 boy lose their way and come into our class ...

okay, so theyre hot... but theyre smart. so, as soon as i, you or any other guy opens their mouth they are going to immediately know what were looking for.

offtheleft said:
okay, so theyre hot... but theyre smart. so, as soon as i, you or any other guy opens their mouth they are going to immediately know what were looking for.

help with homework?

physicophile said:

At my school, some blonde walked into the classroom about 5 minutes before class started. One of the guys was a little more considerate than the folks in your class. He told her, "I don't think you want to be in this classroom. This is Calculus II." A few guys in the class laughed anticipating her look of shock, which sure enough came.

"Calculus II! Oh, my God! You wouldn't happen to know where they're holding ... uh ... oh, wait, I'm teaching Calculus II this semester. What do you know, I guess I'm in the right classroom after all" and flashed that dumb bimbo smile they were all expecting.

BobG said:
At my school, some blonde walked into the classroom about 5 minutes before class started. One of the guys was a little more considerate than the folks in your class. He told her, "I don't think you want to be in this classroom. This is Calculus II." A few guys in the class laughed anticipating her look of shock, which sure enough came.

"Calculus II! Oh, my God! You wouldn't happen to know where they're holding ... uh ... oh, wait, I'm teaching Calculus II this semester. What do you know, I guess I'm in the right classroom after all" and flashed that dumb bimbo smile they were all expecting.

yay! I love her instantly! On the first day of my intro to mechanic class some guy tried to tell me I wasn't suppose to be there. All the first year engineers have to to take it, and I guess he thought it was exclusively for engineers, he kept saying "but you're not in engineering, Id have seen you before" Its true I'm not, but I AM into physics and he just didn't get it.. a girl... who likes physics...

fileen said:
yay! I love her instantly! On the first day of my intro to mechanic class some guy tried to tell me I wasn't suppose to be there. All the first year engineers have to to take it, and I guess he thought it was exclusively for engineers, he kept saying "but you're not in engineering, Id have seen you before" Its true I'm not, but I AM into physics and he just didn't get it.. a girl... who likes physics...

What I used to do with Neanderthals like that: when an exam was handed back after grading, I'd sit right next to the jerk. I'd leave my exam open long enough that I could be sure that he saw my score.

Of course, if you do this, make sure your score is a nice, high number - preferably best in class... :wink: !

Wa wa waaa... You guys go to a school where there are plenty of girls - just not in your class.

Get some social skills, and talk to them walking around campus.

PS: Waa waaa freakin waaa...

lisab said:
What I used to do with Neanderthals like that: when an exam was handed back after grading, I'd sit right next to the jerk. I'd leave my exam open long enough that I could be sure that he saw my score.

Of course, if you do this, make sure your score is a nice, high number - preferably best in class... :wink: !

HA that's brilliant! I am a real ****h however and when boys bother me I always say something really mean like "does your mom know you're here playing grown up?" or "you know, the mere sight of you makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork, and when you talk, I want to throw up a little" Its amazing how well it works. I met one of my best friends this way. He thought it was great and was like "you are everything I have ever wanted in a woman" and I laughed and told him Id rather die, and we've been friends ever since.

My school has TONS of hot chicks and they out number us guys 2:1. However they are all intensely stupid and extremely christian. Two qualities which I will not tolerate any more which really kind of sucks. Its like dying of hydration in the middle of the ocean.

I've noticed the amount of girls in engineering is increasing though but mostly just in CE.

fileen said:

I know what you mean. Every time a new quarter starts, I get so many looks from the guys..I'm not sure if it's good or bad...but they are like, what are you doing in here? You're not in ME, and I'm like uhhh, yeah I am, lol. Then, when I sit in the front of the room, I can feel all the eyes staring at me, that's why I sit at the back of the room. Where are all the hott guys?

mcknia07 said:
I know what you mean. Every time a new quarter starts, I get so many looks from the guys..I'm not sure if it's good or bad...but they are like, what are you doing in here? You're not in ME, and I'm like uhhh, yeah I am, lol. Then, when I sit in the front of the room, I can feel all the eyes staring at me, that's why I sit at the back of the room. Where are all the hott guys?

You have an opportunity to make a point. I always sit front and center, I make sure my profs know me by name, and I make sure I know the material before class so I can ask really good questions and answer all the profs questions correctly. After a while they stop looking at you like a 3 headed snake and start looking at you like a smart hot chick.

Hot guys eh, well to be honest I don't find men attractive in general. I physically prefer women, but a relationship with a woman is like a bad acid trip, you never know what's going to happen. Seriously I have to hand it to men, you seem to know how to deal with us. The trick is to find a guy who respects you as a woman but doesn't expect you to act and think like a man. Its tricky. My boyfriend is not beautiful, but he is attractive, I don't care either way though because he makes me feel great in every way and puts up with all my mood swings.. plus my horse likes him which is the big deciding factor.

fileen said:
You have an opportunity to make a point. I always sit front and center, I make sure my profs know me by name, and I make sure I know the material before class so I can ask really good questions and answer all the profs questions correctly. After a while they stop looking at you like a 3 headed snake and start looking at you like a smart hot chick.

Hot guys eh, well to be honest I don't find men attractive in general. I physically prefer women, but a relationship with a woman is like a bad acid trip, you never know what's going to happen. Seriously I have to hand it to men, you seem to know how to deal with us. The trick is to find a guy who respects you as a woman but doesn't expect you to act and think like a man. Its tricky. My boyfriend is not beautiful, but he is attractive, I don't care either way though because he makes me feel great in every way and puts up with all my mood swings.. plus my horse likes him which is the big deciding factor.

I would rather just blend in than be looked at like a piece of meat. I take compliments well, but please don't look at me like an alien, lol. I would like to be known as just a hot chick, sounds good to me :biggrin:

Ah, I have never had good look dating any guy, they all have tended to screw me over, and only want one thing.

lOl...i never heard anybody say that b4 lOl

taytay0298 said:
lOl...i never heard anybody say that b4 lOl

Ok, interesting first post.

Anyway, not to sound pretentious but I know what you mean by getting stares and looks when you walk into a room. Most people think I have a striking resemblance to Leonardo Dicaprio. It even happened to me a few times today.

I on the other hand would love to be seen as a piece of meat (not that I ever am) because I don't believe any girl can "appreciate" my personality anyway. And what's so bad about guys thinking your attractive anyway? I'm so sick of you girls that dress up like sluts showen off the goods and when we look you get all pissed off. Wtf is up with that?

Hey, personality is a great thing. More girls look for that more than you may think. I, for sure, don't dress slutty. I dress more for work everyday, which means not showing off, just looking professional and proper, with my hair and make-up all done. I can't stand when girls dress slutty and then ask why guys stare, it's like, ugh.

Topher925 said:
Ok, interesting first post.

Anyway, not to sound pretentious but I know what you mean by getting stares and looks when you walk into a room. Most people think I have a striking resemblance to Leonardo Dicaprio. It even happened to me a few times today.

I on the other hand would love to be seen as a piece of meat (not that I ever am) because I don't believe any girl can "appreciate" my personality anyway. And what's so bad about guys thinking your attractive anyway? I'm so sick of you girls that dress up like sluts showen off the goods and when we look you get all pissed off. Wtf is up with that?

Ya I hate sluts, they make the rest of us look bad. I don't mind if a guy looks and me in a way that suggests he thinks I am attractive. I don't like when guys look at me in a way that suggests I am somewhere I don't belong. I do not like when guys treat like I am stupid because I am a girl, or simply assume that I am stupid because I am a girl. I don't like when guys act like I shouldn't enjoy physics or math because I am a girl. I also don't appreciate when guys whistle or gawk and jeer. I think this is rude and terribly immature. Gawking at a girl doesn't impress her, it simply irritates her. In the same way that a guy is happy to sleep with a slut, but won't marry her, girls are happy for the ego boosts that an ***hole gives them when they whistle and honk, but they don't want to date them. My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years and success has nothing to do with physical looks. It works because we respect each other and enjoy each other.

1. When did they start allowing pretty girls into the field of science?

There is no specific date or year when pretty girls were "allowed" into the field of science. Women have been making significant contributions to science throughout history, but they have often faced discrimination and barriers to entry. It was not until the 20th century that more opportunities for women in science began to emerge.

2. Has there been a recent increase in the number of pretty girls in science?

Yes, there has been a gradual increase in the representation of women in science over the past few decades. However, there is still a significant gender gap in certain fields, such as physics and engineering.

3. How are pretty girls perceived in the scientific community?

Unfortunately, there are still biases and stereotypes surrounding women in science. Some may perceive pretty girls as less competent or serious about their work, but this is simply not true. Women in science are just as capable and dedicated as their male counterparts.

4. Are there any challenges that pretty girls face in the field of science?

Yes, women in science often face challenges such as gender discrimination, lack of representation in leadership positions, and work-life balance issues. These challenges can make it difficult for women to thrive and succeed in their scientific careers.

5. How can we encourage more pretty girls to pursue careers in science?

We can encourage more girls to pursue careers in science by providing equal opportunities and support for their education and career advancement. Additionally, promoting positive role models and breaking down gender stereotypes in the science community can also help to encourage more girls to enter the field.