Deciding to be an Astronomer at Age 7

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
In summary, the person decided to study mathematics at university around age 25. They have been interested in science since early childhood and have always been in love with it.
fourier jr
hey when/why/how did you decide that you wanted to study whatever it is that you're doing now? i think i decided fairly early on (grade 2, age 7) that i wanted to be an astronomer (thx to charlie brown's 'cyclopedia), or at least someone who 'found things out'. there's more to that but i think that's the first time i ever thought about becoming some sort of scientist.

Physics news on Phys.org
VERY late.
I didn't begin studying maths&science before I was 26.

fourier jr said:
hey when/why/how did you decide that you wanted to study whatever it is that you're doing now? i think i decided fairly early on (grade 2, age 7) that i wanted to be an astronomer (thx to charlie brown's 'cyclopedia), or at least someone who 'found things out'. there's more to that but i think that's the first time i ever thought about becoming some sort of scientist.

Hmmm. I know I had definitely decided to be a scientist by the time I was 9. Though I suppose that's what I've always wanted to do since I was old enough to remember. But i think 9 years old was when I decided to head into astronomy/astrophysics specifically.

I was interested in Mathematics and Science by grade 4. Before that it I don't think I differentiated those areas from learning in general - I was just curious and wanted to learn everything.

By grade 5, I was really interested in Chemistry and Physics, particularly in the structure of matter and how it worked in all the different levels.

Then in grade 6, I designed a nuclear powered aircraft that looked pretty much like a double-decker 747 or the new Airbus aircraft.

At university I started studying Physics with specialization in nuclear and astrophysics, however I switched to nuclear engineering after a few years.

I still have the same broad interests though in all things Science, and I am just as curious now, perhaps even more so, as I was 40+ years ago.

Up until I was in middle school, I wanted to be a chef (not passionately though). Then by mid-high school, I wanted to be a lawyer. Toward the end of high school, I really wanted to be a jazz pianist (still kind-of do, actually) but realized my parents would never pay to send me to music school, so I applied to college thinking of going into chemistry. By the end of my senior year of high school, I realized that the part of chemistry I enjoyed was actually physics, so when I got to college, I became a physics major.

I`ve allways had an interest in astronomy since about age 6. I didn`t apply to go to Uni and study physics until i was 25 and i`m going to be 33 when/If I finish my Phd.

From middle school to the middle of high school, I wanted to take computer science. For awhile after, I was uncertain, but, after a while, I became conflicted - science or english, which to choose. I am in my senior year and have chosen english. I am favoring what I enjoy over what pays well, a decision I may regret, but we shall see.

I was always interested in dinosaurs and space as a youngster. I read every book on those subjects I could get my hands on. By the time high school rolled around I realized I was physically and mathematically inclined so I decided to go with astronomy.

I still am interested in dinosaurs/paleontology and would love to take a general interest course on the subject but sadly none is offered at my school.

I still don't know what I want to do

Last friday.

I always liked Biology (Neurobiology and genetics) and that was my major for a while but i moved to computer science because, without noticing it, i had started to do a lot of programming on my own (i had bought books on Flash Actionscript, Javascript, JAVA, VBScript ...etc). I love technology and engineering.

It's been about a year now for me.

Just about a year ago I decided to go full blown mathematics.

It feels great to finally make the big decision, and knowing it's the right one because I love it.

I've always been in love with Science, ever since the early years. One of my first science book was the human brain by asimov. Read it when I was 12 years old

'bout a month ago. It's likely to change again next semester.

Smurf said:
'bout a month ago. It's likely to change again next semester.

What's her name this semester?

Funny.

Keesha

You know me
what kinda name is that

Yeah, well...
African. It's becoming somewhat popular in North America, I'm surprised you havn't heard it before.

Thats what I thought
Now that I actually say it out-loud, yah, I hear that name a lot!

Yup.
Saying it out loud? You know, talking to yourself is the first sign of insanity.

tribdog said:
I still don't know what I want to do
You know what you want to do, there's a word that describes it. "Horny." :tongue2:

I am interested in mathematics and physics, but I don't really know what I should do in University. I'm just about to start my final year in high school, and my school's career counsellor has asked us to think of what we might like to major in. Are we really expected to be able to make an informed decision at age 16?

recon said:
I am interested in mathematics and physics, but I don't really know what I should do in University. I'm just about to start my final year in high school, and my school's career counsellor has asked us to think of what we might like to major in. Are we really expected to be able to make an informed decision at age 16?

No, its called "Undeclared" lol. You can get by the first 2 years without having a major but then you better have one by the 3rd.

I managed to narrow my interests down to math and physics in HS. Luckily I picked physics because the jokes physicists make about mathematicians are like waaaaaay more funny than the other way around.

Mk said:
You know what you want to do, there's a word that describes it. "Horny." :tongue2:
I can get paid for THAT? cool

The_Professional said:
I've always been in love with Science, ever since the early years. One of my first science book was the human brain by asimov. Read it when I was 12 years old

Asimov is the one who changed my life too!

I was reading Asimov on Astronomy. :biggrin:

i liked math since about when i learned to count. my dad got me really interested in it. I still remember sitting after dinner learning binary and being amazed that you could count in other bases other than decimal. i was probably about 10.

Course, i can remember around the same time i was thinking i'd be married by 21 and have a kid by 25, and 7 kids total... but i knew i'd be a mathematician! i guess i still have time to fufill the rest...

arildno said:
VERY late.
I didn't begin studying maths&science before I was 26.

Hey arildno, that's indeed late. Do you mean, you started going to college at 26 ? How many years does it take a science student in Norway to obtain the master degree ?

Just wondering about what you did before you were 26. I suppose you finished high school at about 18 ? Then what ?

regards
marlon

Don't remeber exactly when, but I'm sure I wasn't in a normal mood at that time! :uhh: :grumpy:

1. How did you decide to become an astronomer at such a young age?

As a child, I was fascinated by the vastness and beauty of the night sky. I spent countless hours gazing at the stars and learning about the planets and galaxies. This sparked my interest in astronomy and inspired me to pursue it as a career.

2. What challenges did you face in pursuing a career in astronomy at such a young age?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was finding resources and opportunities to learn more about astronomy. At age 7, I didn't have access to advanced scientific literature or equipment. However, I made the most of what was available to me and continued to learn and explore the field.

3. How did your interest in astronomy evolve as you grew older?

As I grew older, my understanding and appreciation for astronomy deepened. I started to learn about more complex concepts and theories, and my passion for the subject only grew stronger. I also had the opportunity to attend lectures, workshops, and conferences, which further fueled my curiosity.

4. What advice would you give to young aspiring astronomers?

My advice would be to never stop learning and exploring. There is always something new and exciting to discover in the field of astronomy. Also, don't be discouraged by challenges or setbacks. Perseverance and determination are key to achieving your goals.

5. What are some of the most rewarding aspects of being an astronomer?

One of the most rewarding aspects is being able to contribute to our understanding of the universe and sharing that knowledge with others. It's also incredibly fulfilling to see the wonder and amazement in people's eyes when they learn about the mysteries of the cosmos.