Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When did you decide?

1. Dec 28, 2005 #1
    hey when/why/how did you decide that you wanted to study whatever it is that you're doing now? i think i decided fairly early on (grade 2, age 7) that i wanted to be an astronomer (thx to charlie brown's 'cyclopedia), or at least someone who 'found things out'. there's more to that but i think that's the first time i ever thought about becoming some sort of scientist.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

VERY late.
    I didn't begin studying maths&science before I was 26.
  4. Dec 28, 2005 #3

Hmmm. I know I had definitely decided to be a scientist by the time I was 9. Though I suppose that's what I've always wanted to do since I was old enough to remember. But i think 9 years old was when I decided to head into astronomy/astrophysics specifically.
  5. Dec 28, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

I was interested in Mathematics and Science by grade 4. Before that it I don't think I differentiated those areas from learning in general - I was just curious and wanted to learn everything.

By grade 5, I was really interested in Chemistry and Physics, particularly in the structure of matter and how it worked in all the different levels.

Then in grade 6, I designed a nuclear powered aircraft that looked pretty much like a double-decker 747 or the new Airbus aircraft.

At university I started studying Physics with specialization in nuclear and astrophysics, however I switched to nuclear engineering after a few years.

I still have the same broad interests though in all things Science, and I am just as curious now, perhaps even more so, as I was 40+ years ago.
  6. Dec 28, 2005 #5
    Up until I was in middle school, I wanted to be a chef (not passionately though). Then by mid-highschool, I wanted to be a lawyer. Toward the end of high school, I really wanted to be a jazz pianist (still kind-of do, actually) but realized my parents would never pay to send me to music school, so I applied to college thinking of going into chemistry. By the end of my senior year of high school, I realized that the part of chemistry I enjoyed was actually physics, so when I got to college, I became a physics major.
  7. Dec 28, 2005 #6
    I`ve allways had an intrest in astronomy since about age 6. I didn`t apply to go to Uni and study physics until i was 25 and i`m going to be 33 when/If I finish my Phd.:surprised
  8. Dec 28, 2005 #7
    From middle school to the middle of high school, I wanted to take computer science. For awhile after, I was uncertain, but, after a while, I became conflicted - science or english, which to choose. I am in my senior year and have chosen english. I am favoring what I enjoy over what pays well, a decision I may regret, but we shall see.
  9. Dec 28, 2005 #8

I was always interested in dinosaurs and space as a youngster. I read every book on those subjects I could get my hands on. By the time high school rolled around I realized I was physically and mathematically inclined so I decided to go with astronomy.

I still am interested in dinosaurs/paleontology and would love to take a general interest course on the subject but sadly none is offered at my school.
  10. Dec 28, 2005 #9
    I still don't know what I want to do
  11. Dec 28, 2005 #10

Gold Member

Last friday.
  12. Dec 28, 2005 #11

Science Advisor

I always liked Biology (Neurobiology and genetics) and that was my major for a while but i moved to computer science because, without noticing it, i had started to do alot of programming on my own (i had bought books on Flash Actionscript, Javascript, JAVA, VBScript ...etc). I love technology and engineering.
  13. Dec 29, 2005 #12

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's been about a year now for me.

Just about a year ago I decided to go full blown mathematics.

It feels great to finally make the big decision, and knowing it's the right one because I love it.
  14. Dec 29, 2005 #13
    I've always been in love with Science, ever since the early years. One of my first science book was the human brain by asimov. Read it when I was 12 years old
  15. Dec 29, 2005 #14
    'bout a month ago. It's likely to change again next semester.
  16. Dec 29, 2005 #15

Gold Member

What's her name this semester?
  17. Dec 29, 2005 #16

18. Dec 29, 2005 #17

Gold Member

You know me
    what kinda name is that
  19. Dec 29, 2005 #18
    Yeah, well...
    African. It's becoming somewhat popular in North America, I'm surprised you havn't heard it before.
  20. Dec 29, 2005 #19

Gold Member

Thats what I thought
    Now that I actually say it out-loud, yah, I hear that name a lot!
  21. Dec 29, 2005 #20
    Saying it out loud? You know, talking to yourself is the first sign of insanity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?