When do bus and truck meet

• MHB
  • Thread starter zidan3311
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bus Truck
In summary: Would you like me to provide more explanation in detail, or would you like me to simply show you how to do the problem?
zidan3311
hi..

the new similar problem :

A bus departs from city X at 07:55 am with speed of 80 kmph . and A truck departs from the city of Y at 08:10 am with a speed of 100 kmph. Two cities 260 km distance. At what time did they meet?

how to find way out with easy/quickly method?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would subtract the distance traveled by the bus from 7:55 am to 8:10 am from the given total of 260 km. Then combine the velocities of the two vehicles, and the new distance to find the time they met. Can you proceed?

zidan3311 said:
hi..

the new similar problem :

A bus departs from city X at 07:55 am with speed of 80 kmph . and A truck departs from the city of Y at 08:10 am with a speed of 100 kmph. Two cities 260 km distance. At what time did they meet?

how to find way out with easy/quickly method?

Suppose they meet after $x$ hours after 7:55 a.m.

Distance covered by bus in $x$ hours = $80x$ km.

Distance covered by truck in $(x- \frac{1}{4})$ hours$ = 100(x- \frac{1}{4})$ km.

Therefore $80x + 100(x- \frac{1}{4}) = 260$

You should be able to solve from here.

Last edited:
MarkFL said:
I would subtract the distance traveled by the bus from 7:55 am to 8:10 am from the given total of 260 km. Then combine the velocities of the two vehicles, and the new distance to find the time they met. Can you proceed?

not yet, Mark, would you show me?

zidan3311 said:
not yet, Mark, would you show me?

I will do even better, I will guide you so that you are involved in the process and will learn more. :D

We know the bus is traveling for 15 minutes at 80 kph. To find the distance traveled during this time, we use the relationship between distance $d$, average speed $v$ and time $t$:

\(\displaystyle d=vt\)

We need for our units to match, and since the speed is given in kilometers per hour, we should express the time in hours, not minutes. So, what part of an hour is 15 minutes, and what do you get for the distance when you plug in the speed and time in the above formula?

MarkFL said:
I will do even better, I will guide you so that you are involved in the process and will learn more. :D

We know the bus is traveling for 15 minutes at 80 kph. To find the distance traveled during this time, we use the relationship between distance $d$, average speed $v$ and time $t$:

\(\displaystyle d=vt\)

We need for our units to match, and since the speed is given in kilometers per hour, we should express the time in hours, not minutes. So, what part of an hour is 15 minutes, and what do you get for the distance when you plug in the speed and time in the above formula?

i'm still confuse, my english is not good enough to understand your guidance completely, could you make it with number of visualization?

zidan3311 said:
i'm still confuse, my english is not good enough to understand your guidance completely, could you make it with number of visualization?

What specifically did you not understand? I want to help you with the problem, not simply work it for you.

Question 1: What is "When do bus and truck meet"?

"When do bus and truck meet" is a mathematical problem that involves determining the time and location at which a bus and a truck, traveling at different speeds and in opposite directions, will meet.

Question 2: Why is "When do bus and truck meet" a popular question?

"When do bus and truck meet" is a popular question because it is a common problem used in math and physics classes to teach concepts such as distance, time, and relative motion.

Question 3: What information is needed to solve "When do bus and truck meet"?

To solve "When do bus and truck meet", you need to know the initial distances of the bus and truck, their speeds, and the direction in which they are traveling. Additionally, you will need to know the relationship between their speeds, such as whether they are traveling towards each other or in the same direction.

Question 4: Is there a formula for solving "When do bus and truck meet"?

Yes, there is a formula for solving "When do bus and truck meet". It is known as the "distance equals rate times time" formula, which states that distance traveled is equal to the speed of an object multiplied by the time it takes to travel that distance. This formula can be used to calculate the time and location at which the bus and truck will meet.

Question 5: Are there any real-life applications for solving "When do bus and truck meet"?

Yes, there are real-life applications for solving "When do bus and truck meet". For example, this problem can be used to determine the optimal time and location for a bus and a truck to meet in order to transfer goods or passengers between them. It can also be applied in traffic management to calculate the time and location at which two vehicles will cross paths.