1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When do I use integrals?

1. Oct 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A crate of mass 9.6 kg is pulled up a rough incline with an initial speed of 1.44 m/s. The pulling force is 92 N parallel to the incline, which makes an angle of 19.4° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.400, and the crate is pulled 4.92 m.

(d) What is the change in kinetic energy of the crate?

2. Relevant equations

Kei = 1/2mv2

3. The attempt at a solution

[m(u)^2] / 2
    K.E (i) = [9.6(1.44)^2 ] / 2
    K.E (i) = 9.95 J

I understand this much is correct. But when and why do I use integrals. I understand it calculates the area under the equation giving me the total amount of work. What I don't understand is, when's the proper time to use it. Are there key words to look out for or...??

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You certainly don't use it here. The crate has a constant velocity, the kinetic energy doesn't change. If the force on the object were variable then you would use the integral of the force over the distance to find the work done by the force on the object. This isn't a good example for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted