1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When do they meet?

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two cars approach each other from opposite directions. One accelerating due east at 100 m/sec^2 and the other accelerating due west at 150 m/sec^2. If they are 500m apart and start from rest, how long does it take for them to collide? Assume constant acceleration.
    2. Relevant equations.

3. The attempt at a solution.
    I can do this with velocities, but am unsure how things change given acceleration. With velocity, one equation was x=100t where x is displacement and t is time, then y=150t where y is displacement and t is also time. The time to impact is the same for each car though the displacement is not. Also, the total displacement of the two cars is 500m so, x + y = 500m
    I solved for time and that was that. When I did the same thing with acceleration I got time in sec^2 and knew I had a problem. Would I use the equation x = (Vo)t + 1/2a(t^2) where x is displacement, Vo is initial velocity (which = 0), a is acceleration and t is time? If I used each acceleration in this equation, one displacement x and one displacement y with the total of x + y = 500m would that be right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!
    As the cars are accelerating, your first approach is wrong. And the given data, 100m/s^2 and 150 m/s2 are accelerations, not velocities.
    The second approach is right, go ahead!

4. Jan 19, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your help with my question!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted