Finding Time for Spring to Reach Equilibrium Length

In summary, the question asks for the time it takes for a 20 kg mass attached to a 120 N/m spring on a frictionless surface to return to its equilibrium length after being given an initial velocity to the right. Using the equations Fs = -kx and ω2 = k/m, the solution is found by calculating the period of simple harmonic motion and determining when the mass reaches equilibrium for the first time. The correct answer is twice the time calculated, as the mass passes through equilibrium twice in one period.
HunterDX77M

Homework Statement

A 20 kg mass is attached to a 120 N/m spring and is free to slide across a horizontal
frictionless surface. If the spring is originally at its equilibrium length when the mass is given an initial velocity to the right, after how much time is the spring once again at its equilibrium length?

Homework Equations

Fs = -kx
ω2 = k/m

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I thought that I'd just get ω and solve the simple equation. But I'm not getting the right answer.

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{120/20} = \sqrt{6}[/tex]
[tex]x(t) = Acos(\omega t) = 0 [/tex]
[tex]0/A = cos(\omega t) = 0 [/tex]
[tex]arccos(0) = \omega t[/tex]
[tex]\pi \div 2 = \omega t[/tex]
[tex]t = \frac{\pi}{2 \sqrt{6}} = 0.641 s [/tex]

But the correct answer is twice that. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org

HunterDX77M said:

Homework Statement

A 20 kg mass is attached to a 120 N/m spring and is free to slide across a horizontal
frictionless surface. If the spring is originally at its equilibrium length when the mass is given an initial velocity to the right, after how much time is the spring once again at its equilibrium length?

Homework Equations

Fs = -kx
ω2 = k/m

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I thought that I'd just get ω and solve the simple equation. But I'm not getting the right answer.

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{120/20} = \sqrt{6}[/tex]
[tex]x(t) = Acos(\omega t) = 0 [/tex]
[tex]0/A = cos(\omega t) = 0 [/tex]
[tex]arccos(0) = \omega t[/tex]
[tex]\pi \div 2 = \omega t[/tex]
[tex]t = \frac{\pi}{2 \sqrt{6}} = 0.641 s [/tex]

But the correct answer is twice that. Why?

The mass will be put into SHM, with a period able to be calculated with the usual formulas.
During each cycle of SHM, the mass will pass through the equilibrium position twice - so when does the first of them occur?

Ah, I think I get you.

I've already solved for ω. And the period T = 2π/ω. Therefore, T = 2.57 sec. And since it returns to equilibrium in half a period, it returns at 1.28 seconds. Thanks!

What is meant by "Finding Time for Spring to Reach Equilibrium Length"?

"Finding Time for Spring to Reach Equilibrium Length" refers to the process of determining how long it takes for a spring to reach its natural length after being stretched or compressed. This is also known as the spring's equilibrium length or rest length.

Why is it important to know the time for a spring to reach equilibrium length?

Knowing the time for a spring to reach equilibrium length is important for understanding its behavior and properties. It can also be useful in various applications, such as designing springs for specific purposes or predicting the motion of objects attached to springs.

What factors affect the time for a spring to reach equilibrium length?

The time for a spring to reach equilibrium length is affected by several factors, including the spring's material, thickness, length, and the amount of force applied to it. Other factors such as temperature and external forces may also play a role.

How is the time for a spring to reach equilibrium length calculated?

The time for a spring to reach equilibrium length can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression. By knowing the spring constant and the applied force, the time can be determined using mathematical equations.

Can the time for a spring to reach equilibrium length be changed?

Yes, the time for a spring to reach equilibrium length can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, increasing the force applied to a spring can decrease the time it takes to reach equilibrium length. Changing the material or thickness of the spring can also affect the time.