When are solutions found for cos(A+B) = cosA + cosB?

• Thread starter tlub77987
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a possible discovery of angles A and B where cos(A+B) equals cosA+cosB. The participants suggest using the formulas \sin(A+B)=\sin A\cos B+\cos A\sin B and \sin A+\sin B=2\sin\frac{A+B}{2}\cos\frac{A-B}{2} to find a solution, but ultimately decide that it is a difficult task. One participant also gives an example of a solution for cos(A+B)=cosA+cosB. However, another participant points out that finding just one solution is not enough and it is important to find all solutions.
tlub77987
I recently read an article in a math magazine where some guy found anlges (A and B) when sin(A+B)=sinA + sinB. I have been trying to work with cos(A+B) and see if there are instances when cos(A+B) would equal cosA+cosB. Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
assuming he didn't do it by brute force I suppose he may have used the formulae

[tex]\sin(A+B)=\sin A \cos B + \cos A \sin B[/tex]

[tex]\sin A + \sin B =2\sin\frac{A+B}{2}\cos\frac{A-B}{2}[/tex]

so he possibly assumed

[tex]\sin A \cos B + \cos A \sin B = 2\sin\frac{A+B}{2}\cos\frac{A-B}{2}[/tex]

and played around with it or other formulae?

but honestly I have no idea how he did it, I didn't really "think"/"work" this over.:rolleyes:
btw, can you post a link or something to that article?

Last edited:
tlub77987 said:
I recently read an article in a math magazine where some guy found anlges (A and B) when sin(A+B)=sinA + sinB. I have been trying to work with cos(A+B) and see if there are instances when cos(A+B) would equal cosA+cosB. Any ideas?
If you set sinAcosB + sinBcosA = sinA + sinB, this will be true if cosB = 1 and cosA = 1, which means that A and B can be 0, pi, 2pi, etc. Any integer multiple of pi works.

It's much harder to find a solution for cos(A + B) = cosA + cosB, since cos(A + B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB.

Mark44 said:
If you set sinAcosB + sinBcosA = sinA + sinB, this will be true if cosB = 1 and cosA = 1, which means that A and B can be 0, pi, 2pi, etc. Any integer multiple of pi works.

It's much harder to find a solution for cos(A + B) = cosA + cosB, since cos(A + B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB.

I think he means angles besides those (which are trivial cases... I don't think such a "discovery" would be that interesting to be published in a mathematics magazine like the OP said)... 0=0 isn't that fascinating...:wink:

(btw, [tex]\cos \pi = -1[/tex] so only angles of the form [tex]2k\pi , \ k \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] work for this solution)

[itex]k\pi[/itex], [itex]2k\pi[/itex], what's the difference?:smile:

π/4 & 3π/2

Mark44 said:
[itex]k\pi[/itex], [itex]2k\pi[/itex], what's the difference?:smile:

you said we must have cosA=cosB=1 , I was replying to that...

but anyway in this case yeah, it doesn't matter since it's 0=0 anyway... :approve:

anyway @OP:

if this is not a farce/joke (which I suspect to be the case) I'd like to know about that "result", thanks. :smile:

Borek said:
π/4 & 3π/2

lol :rofl:
nice one.

edit: I just noticed you have a "best humour" badge. indeed, you're good.

Giving one particular solution is useless from a mathematicians point of view. It's important to find all solutions.

I'm not sure what that guy did, but one easily gets
cos(a+b)=cos(a)+cos(b)
[tex]a=\arccos t+\arccos\left(t-\frac{1}{2t}\right)[/tex]
[tex]b=\arccos t-\arccos\left(t-\frac{1}{2t}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}-1}{2}<|t|<1[/tex]
which is a continuous set of solutions.

And btw, sin(a+b)=sin(a)+sin(b) is solved with
[tex]a=\pi+t, b=\pi-t[/tex]
or
[tex]a=t, b=0[/tex]
or
[tex]a=0, b=t[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for cos(A+B)?

The formula for cos(A+B) is cosA*cosB - sinA*sinB.

2. How is cos(A+B) related to cosA and cosB?

Cos(A+B) is related to cosA and cosB through the trigonometric identity: cos(A+B) = cosA*cosB - sinA*sinB.

3. Can cos(A+B) ever equal cosA + cosB?

Yes, cos(A+B) can equal cosA + cosB if the values of A and B are specific and satisfy the trigonometric identity.

4. What are the conditions for cos(A+B) to equal cosA + cosB?

The conditions for cos(A+B) to equal cosA + cosB are that A and B must be specific values that satisfy the trigonometric identity: cos(A+B) = cosA*cosB - sinA*sinB.

5. How can I use the formula cos(A+B) = cosA*cosB - sinA*sinB in real-life situations?

The formula cos(A+B) = cosA*cosB - sinA*sinB can be used in real-life situations involving the addition of two cosine functions, such as in physics and engineering problems involving wave interference.