1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When does cos(A+B)=cosA +cosB

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    I recently read an article in a math magazine where some guy found anlges (A and B) when sin(A+B)=sinA + sinB. I have been trying to work with cos(A+B) and see if there are instances when cos(A+B) would equal cosA+cosB. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    assuming he didn't do it by brute force I suppose he may have used the formulae

[tex]\sin(A+B)=\sin A \cos B + \cos A \sin B[/tex]

[tex]\sin A + \sin B =2\sin\frac{A+B}{2}\cos\frac{A-B}{2}[/tex]

so he possibly assumed

[tex]\sin A \cos B + \cos A \sin B = 2\sin\frac{A+B}{2}\cos\frac{A-B}{2}[/tex]

and played around with it or other formulae?

but honestly I have no idea how he did it, I didn't really "think"/"work" this over.:rolleyes:
    btw, can you post a link or something to that article?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  4. Nov 23, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you set sinAcosB + sinBcosA = sinA + sinB, this will be true if cosB = 1 and cosA = 1, which means that A and B can be 0, pi, 2pi, etc. Any integer multiple of pi works.

It's much harder to find a solution for cos(A + B) = cosA + cosB, since cos(A + B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB.

5. Nov 23, 2009 #4
    I think he means angles besides those (which are trivial cases... I don't think such a "discovery" would be that interesting to be published in a mathematics magazine like the OP said)... 0=0 isn't that fascinating...:wink:

(btw, [tex]\cos \pi = -1[/tex] so only angles of the form [tex]2k\pi , \ k \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] work for this solution)

6. Nov 23, 2009 #5

Mark44

[itex]k\pi[/itex], [itex]2k\pi[/itex], what's the difference?:smile:

7. Nov 23, 2009 #6

Borek

π/4 & 3π/2

8. Nov 23, 2009 #7
    you said we must have cosA=cosB=1 , I was replying to that...

but anyway in this case yeah, it doesn't matter since it's 0=0 anyway... :approve:

anyway @OP:

if this is not a farce/joke (which I suspect to be the case) I'd like to know about that "result", thanks. :smile:

lol :rofl:
    nice one.

edit: I just noticed you have a "best humour" badge. indeed, you're good. :surprised

9. Nov 23, 2009 #8
    Giving one particular solution is useless from a mathematicians point of view. It's important to find all solutions.

I'm not sure what that guy did, but one easily gets
    cos(a+b)=cos(a)+cos(b)
    [tex]a=\arccos t+\arccos\left(t-\frac{1}{2t}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]b=\arccos t-\arccos\left(t-\frac{1}{2t}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}-1}{2}<|t|<1[/tex]
    which is a continous set of solutions.

And btw, sin(a+b)=sin(a)+sin(b) is solved with
    [tex]a=\pi+t, b=\pi-t[/tex]
    or
    [tex]a=t, b=0[/tex]
    or
    [tex]a=0, b=t[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook