Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When does cos(A+B)=cosA +cosB

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    I recently read an article in a math magazine where some guy found anlges (A and B) when sin(A+B)=sinA + sinB. I have been trying to work with cos(A+B) and see if there are instances when cos(A+B) would equal cosA+cosB. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    assuming he didn't do it by brute force I suppose he may have used the formulae

[tex]\sin(A+B)=\sin A \cos B + \cos A \sin B[/tex]

[tex]\sin A + \sin B =2\sin\frac{A+B}{2}\cos\frac{A-B}{2}[/tex]

so he possibly assumed

[tex]\sin A \cos B + \cos A \sin B = 2\sin\frac{A+B}{2}\cos\frac{A-B}{2}[/tex]

and played around with it or other formulae?

but honestly I have no idea how he did it, I didn't really "think"/"work" this over.:rolleyes:
    btw, can you post a link or something to that article?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  4. Nov 23, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you set sinAcosB + sinBcosA = sinA + sinB, this will be true if cosB = 1 and cosA = 1, which means that A and B can be 0, pi, 2pi, etc. Any integer multiple of pi works.

It's much harder to find a solution for cos(A + B) = cosA + cosB, since cos(A + B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB.

5. Nov 23, 2009 #4
    I think he means angles besides those (which are trivial cases... I don't think such a "discovery" would be that interesting to be published in a mathematics magazine like the OP said)... 0=0 isn't that fascinating...:wink:

(btw, [tex]\cos \pi = -1[/tex] so only angles of the form [tex]2k\pi , \ k \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] work for this solution)

6. Nov 23, 2009 #5

Mark44

[itex]k\pi[/itex], [itex]2k\pi[/itex], what's the difference?:smile:

7. Nov 23, 2009 #6

Borek

π/4 & 3π/2

8. Nov 23, 2009 #7
    you said we must have cosA=cosB=1 , I was replying to that...

but anyway in this case yeah, it doesn't matter since it's 0=0 anyway... :approve:

anyway @OP:

if this is not a farce/joke (which I suspect to be the case) I'd like to know about that "result", thanks. :smile:

lol :rofl:
    nice one.

edit: I just noticed you have a "best humour" badge. indeed, you're good. :surprised

9. Nov 23, 2009 #8
    Giving one particular solution is useless from a mathematicians point of view. It's important to find all solutions.

I'm not sure what that guy did, but one easily gets
    cos(a+b)=cos(a)+cos(b)
    [tex]a=\arccos t+\arccos\left(t-\frac{1}{2t}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]b=\arccos t-\arccos\left(t-\frac{1}{2t}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}-1}{2}<|t|<1[/tex]
    which is a continous set of solutions.

And btw, sin(a+b)=sin(a)+sin(b) is solved with
    [tex]a=\pi+t, b=\pi-t[/tex]
    or
    [tex]a=t, b=0[/tex]
    or
    [tex]a=0, b=t[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook