1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When does ω=v/r?

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    I have two homework problems that I've solved, but I can't reconcile the answers.

The first problem involved a sphere rolling down the hill, I must find the ratio of the translational kinetic energy to the total kinetic energy.

KEtot = KEtrans + KErot
    = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iω^2
    = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2(2/5mr^2)(v/r)^2

Working through the algebra gives me a ratio of 5/7, which was accepted as correct by the software.

The second problem is similar, this time with a string wound around a hockey puck sitting on a frictionless surface and pulling with constant force. I must determine the ratio of rotational kinetic energy to the total kinetic energy. I proceeded to do this problem the same way as the first:

KEtot = KEtrans + KErot
    = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iω^2
    = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2(1/2mr^2)(v/r)^2

This time I got a ratio of 1/3, but this is incorrect. The tutorial in the software indicated that ω does not equal (v/r), but rather is dependant on the moment of inertia of the object being rotated. Since the puck is a cylinder, ω = (2v/r). Plugging this value into the formula above gave me the accepted ratio of 2/3.

To me these look like identical problems, however in the first problem I was able to simply substitute v/r for ω, but wasn't able to do so for this problem. How do I know when to make that substitution vs. working out the relationship based on the inertia of the object?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The first problem involves rolling without slipping, which implies v = ωr. The second problem has no such condition.

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    Great, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook