When does the Sun sets down at 71°11'

In summary, the conversation discusses the summer solstice and when the sun will set at a specific location. The participants mention the use of shareware/freeware programs to calculate this and also mention the date of July instead of August. One person offers to calculate pH in return for the information and the other expresses gratitude for the helpful information.
Borek
Mentor
Bear with me, I am not even sure if I know how to properly word the question.

Few days ago there was summer solstice - that means Sun was visible all day north of arctic circle. My question is - when will the Sun set down at 71°11'? Now, Sun is not a point, so perhaps better question is - when will the Sun touch the horizon for the first time at 71°11'?

I know there are tons of shareware/freeware programs that can calculate such things, I remember using one of them back in nineties, but I don't have enough time right now to search, download, install and learn enough user interface to check. Hopefully someone has right tools at hand and can answer. In return I can calculate pH of any mixture :wink:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
At midnight of August 27/8, it just touches the horizon - two days later it is completely below.

Attachments

• midnight.jpg
    midnight.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 438
Judging from the screenshot you mean July, not August :wink:

Many thanks, that's exactly information I was looking for. And I must admit end of July is a good news :smile:

I owe you a beer.

1. When does the Sun set at 71°11'?

The exact time of the sunset at 71°11' will vary depending on the specific date and location. However, at this latitude, the Sun will typically set during the summer months between 10:00 PM and midnight, and during the winter months between 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM. To get a more precise answer, you can use an online tool or consult an almanac.

2. How does the Sun's position change at 71°11' during the year?

At 71°11' latitude, the Sun's position will change significantly throughout the year due to the tilt of the Earth's axis. During the summer solstice, the Sun will be high in the sky and will set very late, while during the winter solstice, it will be lower and set earlier. This creates the phenomenon of the midnight sun during the summer months and polar night during the winter months.

3. What causes the Sun to set at 71°11'?

The Sun appears to set at 71°11' due to Earth's rotation on its axis. As the Earth spins, different parts of the planet are facing towards or away from the Sun, creating the illusion of the Sun rising and setting. At this particular latitude, the Sun will set because the Earth's rotation has brought this location to a point where it is no longer facing the Sun.

4. Is there any significance to the Sun setting at 71°11'?

While the exact latitude of 71°11' may not hold any particular significance, the Sun's position and movement in the sky can have important effects on the Earth's climate and seasons. It also plays a significant role in the daily lives and cultural practices of people living in this latitude, such as the traditional Sami people in Norway who rely on the Sun for their livelihood.

5. How does the Sun's setting at 71°11' compare to other latitudes?

The Sun's setting at 71°11' is unique to this specific latitude. As you move closer to the poles, the Sun will appear to set for longer periods of time, and during the polar summer, it may not set at all. Conversely, as you move closer to the equator, the Sun will set earlier and rise later. The exact time of sunset will also vary depending on the specific date and location within each latitude.