Grade 12 Physics: When Equation = 0

• Thread starter j-fusion
  • Start date
In summary: ENDMENT: A system experiences centripetal acceleration when it is changing direction (even if the speed is constant). So if the direction remains the same, the system's acceleration equals zero. All it takes is the change in velocity direction for the centripetal acceleration to be a non-zero number since it's pointed toward a center of a circular path.In summary, a system's net force is equal to 0 when there is no force acting on it, according to Newton's first law. However, when a body's velocity is changing with time, there must be a force acting on it. In the case of a central force, such as centripetal acceleration, the force is always directed towards a specific point, causing the body
j-fusion
Hi, I am a student in grade 12 physics and I am a little bit confused on when a system will be equal to 0

For example, Fnet=fy.

I know that a system that is not accelerating will = 0 following Newtons second law of motion, however, iv found that using other equations such as centripetal acceleration:Ac= (4π^2 r)/T^2 seems to give me a hard time. Can anyone explain to me exactly when a system is = 0 or not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A system experiences centripetal acceleration when it is changing direction (even if the speed is constant). So if the direction remains the same, the system's acceleration equals zero. All it takes is the change in velocity direction for the centripetal acceleration to be a non-zero number since it's pointed toward a center of a circular path.

j-fusion said:
Hi, I am a student in grade 12 physics and I am a little bit confused on when a system will be equal to 0

For example, Fnet=fy.

I know that a system that is not accelerating will = 0 following Newtons second law of motion, however, iv found that using other equations such as centripetal acceleration:Ac= (4π^2 r)/T^2 seems to give me a hard time. Can anyone explain to me exactly when a system is = 0 or not?
I assume you mean: when is the net force on a system = 0

Remember Newton's first law. A body continues in its state of rest or uniform motion unless a force acts on it. So if there is no force acting on the body, its velocity (which has both direction and magnitude) does not change with time. Conversely, if a body's velocity is changing (in direction or magnitude or both) with time, there must be a force acting on it ie. the sum of all forces acting on it is non-zero.

A central force is a force that is always directed toward the same point. So the acceleration (change in velocity vector / unit time) is always toward that point. That is centripetal acceleration. The body's speed may not change (if the body's path is circular) but its direction is always changing - so there is a force acting.

AM

1. What does it mean when an equation equals 0 in Grade 12 Physics?

When an equation equals 0 in Grade 12 Physics, it means that the output or solution to the equation is equal to 0. This can also be interpreted as there being no solution or root to the equation.

2. Can an equation equal 0 in Grade 12 Physics?

Yes, an equation can equal 0 in Grade 12 Physics. This can happen when the inputs or variables in the equation cancel each other out or when the equation is set up to find the point at which the output is equal to 0.

3. How do you solve an equation that equals 0 in Grade 12 Physics?

To solve an equation that equals 0 in Grade 12 Physics, you can use various algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula. It is important to follow the order of operations and carefully manipulate the equation until you isolate the variable and find the solution.

4. Why is it important to understand equations that equal 0 in Grade 12 Physics?

Understanding equations that equal 0 in Grade 12 Physics is important because it allows us to solve for key values and variables in various physical phenomena and systems. It also helps us make predictions and analyze the behavior of these systems.

5. What are some real-life applications of equations that equal 0 in Grade 12 Physics?

Equations that equal 0 in Grade 12 Physics have many real-life applications, such as determining the equilibrium points in chemical reactions, finding the intersection points of two objects in motion, and calculating the critical points in electric circuits. They are also used in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and economics to model and understand complex systems.