So what is the time taken? Help me!Thanks

In summary, to find the time taken for a vehicle to accelerate down a slope with ticker tape attached, you can use the equation of motion S=ut+0.5at^2 and solve for "a". Each time interval is 0.1 seconds long and the average speed for each interval can be calculated by dividing the length of the tape by the time interval. By graphing the instantaneous speeds at times 0.05, 0.15, 0.25, and 0.35, you can calculate the acceleration or take the gain in speed from 0.05 to 0.35 divided by the time interval of 0.3.
bumbletiger
If i was running a vehicle down a slope with ticker tape attached to it, running through a ticker timer, and finding the distance of intervals of 5 (0-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20) and the time for each interval is 0.1, 0.2, 0.4 and 0.4.. If I already have the starting and final speed, how would I go about finding the time taken, in order for me to actually find the acceleration..Because the formula for acceleration is final speed-starting speed/time taken..

I have this assessment due tomorrow, and I am stuck on just this very thing.
What is the time taken? Help me!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps try using this equation of motion and solving for "a"

S=ut+0.5at2

bumbletiger said:
If i was running a vehicle down a slope with ticker tape attached to it, running through a ticker timer, and finding the distance of intervals of 5 (0-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20) and the time for each interval is 0.1, 0.2, 0.4 and 0.4.. If I already have the starting and final speed, how would I go about finding the time taken, in order for me to actually find the acceleration..Because the formula for acceleration is final speed-starting speed/time taken..

I have this assessment due tomorrow, and I am stuck on just this very thing.
What is the time taken? Help me!

Thanks

Each time interval is 0.1 seconds long I believe, I think you meant that the time at the END of each interval was 0.1, 0.2 0.3 and 0.4.

The average speed for the first time interval [0-5] is the length of tape, divided by the time interval [0.1] so numerically that works out at 10 x the length of the tape.
he average speed for the first 0.1 seconds is generally taken as the instantaneous speed at time 0.05.

Similar analysis of each other segment produces instantaneous speed at time 0.15, 0.25 and 0.35.

By graphing those, you could calculate the acceleration [or perhaps take the gain in speed from 0.05 to 0.35, divided by the time interval [0.3].

1. What is a ticker timer?

A ticker timer is a device used in physics experiments to measure the time taken by an object to travel a certain distance. It consists of a motor that rotates at a constant speed, attached to a strip of paper with evenly spaced dots. When the timer is turned on, the dots are printed on the paper at regular intervals, creating a visual representation of time.

2. How do I use a ticker timer to find acceleration?

To find acceleration using a ticker timer, you need to record the time taken by an object to travel a known distance. This can be done by attaching the object to the ticker timer and letting it travel along a horizontal surface. As the object moves, the timer will print dots on the paper strip. By measuring the distance between the dots and calculating the time between them, you can find the acceleration of the object using the formula a = 2d/t^2, where d is the distance and t is the time.

3. What are the units of measurement for time and distance when using a ticker timer?

The units of measurement for time and distance when using a ticker timer are seconds (s) and meters (m). The time is measured in seconds between each dot on the paper strip, and the distance is measured in meters between the starting point and the end point of the object's motion.

4. Can a ticker timer be used for objects with non-uniform acceleration?

Yes, a ticker timer can be used for objects with non-uniform acceleration. However, the calculations will be more complex as the time intervals between the dots on the paper strip will not be constant. In this case, a graph can be plotted with time on the x-axis and distance on the y-axis, and the slope of the line will represent the object's acceleration.

5. Are there any sources of error when using a ticker timer to find acceleration?

Yes, there are some sources of error when using a ticker timer to find acceleration. These include human error in measuring the time and distance, friction between the object and the surface, and the limited accuracy of the ticker timer itself. To minimize these errors, it is important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average, as well as ensuring the ticker timer is properly calibrated.