Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When first contact is made

1. Feb 12, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/2004/2/when_ufos_arrive/index.phtml

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2004 #2

megashawn

Science Advisor

Well now wouldn't that be funny. Alien lands tommorow, our government locks him and gives him the anal probe for a change.

Then on saturday, the rest of his people show up and wipe out humanity.

Surely we will act with more sense then to actually attempt to detain a being that has the capabilities of interstellar travel. Don't we?

4. Feb 12, 2004 #3
    Does anyone here contribute computing power to the SETI@home project?

5. Feb 12, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I do. HERE are my stats. I had a different account when I was in college but couldn't figure out how to change it when I stopped using that email account.

Ivan, did you notice the usage of the term "UFO"? ET origin is assumed. Yes, I know its incorrect usage, but as I pointed out before, its very common.

6. Feb 13, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tsunami and I are long time SETI nodes.

As for the unavoidable association between UFOs and ET, you will get no argument from me. Beyond any doubt "UFO" means many different things.

7. Feb 13, 2004 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I looked at the stats and some of the other links but couldn't really understand how it was suppose to work. Is it that you are processing data? If so, is it "real time" or from earlier runs?

regards

8. Feb 16, 2004 #7

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Processing data from earlier runs. The SETI program gathers tons of data (from millions or billions of sky "channels") every day that would take huge amounts of computing time to process. Rather than do it themselves (expensive, time consuming), they distribute small packets of info to volunteers (millions of them, by the looks of it) to take advantage of shared computing. Consider how much processing power your computer has that goes unused like when you leave the room for a minute or when it's waiting to send that long email you've been typing. Now consider how many people have computers that sit inactive like that. The processing program takes advantage of all that down time to sift through the data packets. Then you upload the results and download a new packet to check out. SETI then sifts through the results and can focus their attention on any interesting ones (most data are background noise, etc.). They still have the original data so they can double check results (no hacking the program to cheat).

9. Feb 17, 2004 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The overall stats from SETI's main page are truly remarkable. http://www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/totals.html

4.9 million users.
    1.8 million years of cpu time.
    1042 years of cpu time in the past day.
    SCREENSHOT One of the cool things about the screensaver (note: it cuts the computational effeciency by like 75%) is that it lists where and when and what the signal is that you are analyzing. I'm currently crunching data from Arecibo (the big dish in Mexico from Contact and James Bond), the data was recorded on 11/10/03, freq 1.4211 ghz, and it gives the coordinates of the piece of sky it came from.

10. Feb 17, 2004 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Phobos and russ_watters. That's neet.

Regards

11. Feb 26, 2004 #10
    How many government officials have lost their jobs for stepping forward?
    Why didn’t anybody else catch this bold face lie by Popular Mechanics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?