Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When geeks run out of coins

1. May 30, 2004 #1
    I needed to flip a coin today to decide on something, but I could only get to a coin if I got up from my chair. So eventually I just wrote a little program to echo a random number... not that it's complicated but I think fetching a coin would have been easier. :wink:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2004 #2
    i have done the same on my Ti-83 plus, fun times fun times :biggrin:
  4. May 30, 2004 #3
    That's me in a nutshell :biggrin:
  5. May 30, 2004 #4
    Geeks All Over The World Unite
  6. May 30, 2004 #5
    You see, it's just like I always thought; often it's more work to be lazy then not. Some people expend more energy trying to avoid work then it would take to just do it. :rofl:
  7. May 30, 2004 #6
    You're my hero
  8. May 30, 2004 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A program, eh? Now that would be a lot easier than predicting the outcome by approximating the flick of the thumb as a delta function and solving the equations of motion, taking the fluctuations of the local air pressure into account.

Thanks for the time-saving tip!
  9. May 31, 2004 #8
    wow, thats just sad and the worst part is...I've done the same thing
  10. Jun 1, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

Does it ever land on its side?
  11. Jun 8, 2004 #10
    that'd be one tough probability algorithm...
  12. Jun 8, 2004 #11
    Do you get the same effect with your random number generator?

Also, you can visit http://www.random.org/flip.html and flip coins from across the world - but be wary of the Belgian Euro! http://www.guardian.co.uk/euro/story/0,11306,627496,00.html

13. Jun 8, 2004 #12
    [nerdom ]Actually, writing a REAL random number generator would be
    incredibly difficult.
    Label A
    Goto A
    on your TI83 is not actually random :eek:

[/ultimate nerdom!!]
  14. Jun 8, 2004 #13
    Flipping a coin is just as random, so it doesn't really matter, does it?
  15. Jun 9, 2004 #14
    No it is not.
    Flipping a coin is truly random. Your hand, minute changes in the air, friction on the table, etc. all add to the randomness and none of those events will ever be perfectly replicated again.

A computer (I've read of some that are supposedly trying to actually generate real random numbers, but this isn't part of this conversation) does not actually generate a TRULY random number. It does not have the means to. I can explain more, but google will come up with a million links explaining why - but if you sit and think for a short moment, you will realize that there is no way for our conventional computers, and especially a TI-83, to truly generate a random number at this present time.

Here's a decent link quickly addressing the issue: http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~skiena/jaialai/excerpts/node7.html
  16. Jun 9, 2004 #15
    But you could argue that choosing the random seed is adding some element of true randomness into the problem (providing you don't know how the algorithm works so have no idea what seed will produce what result - maybe you should roll a dice? :uhh:). Of course, this only really holds if you only draw one random number so I guess "best of 3" is out of the question.

Hehe, this reminds me of something I read in Numerical Recipes:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?