1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When I die, I want to become a diamond

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4751684/
    [​IMG]
    see also http://www.lifegem.com/

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I could do that and the Evo child could wear me around her neck and when people ask her what it is, she can say "my mom". :approve:

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

I think that's terrible

5. Oct 18, 2005 #4
    nah, I've already got a special place for grandma's bones; I've been needing an ottoman for a while now....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  6. Oct 18, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OH mY GOD, SWERVE!!!! :eek: :surprised :eek:

7. Oct 18, 2005 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking I would like to do this for both of my dear departed cats (they were cremated and I have their ashes) but it looks to be very, very expensive.

8. Oct 18, 2005 #7
    yes, but you can just call me Swerve:biggrin:

9. Oct 18, 2005 #8
    My grandma always says that she wants to be cremated and buried in a shoebox, no point in wasting money on the dead as she sees it. Maybe I could mix the ashes in some paint and plaster her on my wall...forever....and ever...and ever...

or maybe use use her as snuff!

10. Oct 18, 2005 #9
    I've always wondered, is it possible to use diamond flecks in a tattoo? Then you'd be one flesh:cool:

11. Oct 18, 2005 #10
    Yomamma, you're a gem!:rofl:

I was just about to ask if anyone'd considered the ethical implications of this. I love the younger generations, such pure minds, not yet corrupted by the consumer culture of "silk and diamonds".

12. Oct 18, 2005 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now there's an idea!

You know, since my family doesn't have the bucks to make me into a giant diamond when I shuffle off this mortal coil, perhaps I could settle for just being converted into graphite. I could enjoy a reincarnation as a #2 pencil. :biggrin:

13. Oct 18, 2005 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Well, if I can't afford to be made into a gem, my second option is being stuffed.

14. Oct 18, 2005 #13
    Then I could use the pencil to draw a pichur of you!

15. Oct 18, 2005 #14
    MIH, you already are a beautiful gem.:tongue2:

16. Oct 18, 2005 #15
    This is true, and her new Borg implants only add to the allure. Perhaps she should rename herself Seven Of Math.

17. Oct 18, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want to be either a Kingsford Briquette or a can of graphite lube.

18. Oct 18, 2005 #17

Mk

I pitchur of you!

Smooooooth... but I would revise it to something like:

MIH, you are a beautiful gem. :wink:

19. Oct 19, 2005 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo: I think it is only fitting that we send you out King Tut style.:smile: The Evo exhibit could tour the world!

juvenal and Mk:awrrr!!!:!!) :!!) :!!) you made my day happy! thank you!

Zooby: if you drew my picture with a pencil made out of me - whoa:eek: - that would be so unique and um..circular!! Hey, that gives me a business idea - PM me! :rofl:

Ivan: A briquette? We could have one last great BBQ!:biggrin:

20. Oct 19, 2005 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I die, I want to have my remains launched in to space (Space Services Memorial Space Flights. It's cheaper than becoming a diamond.

Prices range from $1000 to $5300 dollars for having a portion of your remains launched into low Earth orbit. Objects in low Earth orbit are often visible just before sunrise or after sunset, so your relatives could check out heavens-above and watch you fly over once in a while. Of course, objects in a low Earth orbit eventually re-enter the atmosphere, giving one last fiery tribute before returning to Earth one last time.

Or, for about $12500, you could have your remains launched to the Moon or into deep space.

They even plan for contingencies. They only launch a tiny portion of your remains (1 gram to 7 grams) and keep a portion in reserve.... just in case the rocket carrying your remains blows up on the pad, you know.

Edit: This is the same service launching "Scotty" (James Doohan) into Earth orbit in December.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  21. Oct 19, 2005 #20

Mk

I dunno, I always thought I would definitely not want to be shot up into space. Just in case your spirit lingers around your ashes... I would not like to be in space. Like being an astronaut on a spacewalk without a suit.

Ouch! :bugeye:
    ........^^
    You'd look like that

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?