Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When I die, I want to become a diamond

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4751684/
    [​IMG]
    see also http://www.lifegem.com/

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I could do that and the Evo child could wear me around her neck and when people ask her what it is, she can say "my mom". :approve:

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

I think that's terrible

5. Oct 18, 2005 #4
    nah, I've already got a special place for grandma's bones; I've been needing an ottoman for a while now....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  6. Oct 18, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OH mY GOD, SWERVE!!!! :eek: :surprised :eek:

7. Oct 18, 2005 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking I would like to do this for both of my dear departed cats (they were cremated and I have their ashes) but it looks to be very, very expensive.

8. Oct 18, 2005 #7
    yes, but you can just call me Swerve:biggrin:

9. Oct 18, 2005 #8
    My grandma always says that she wants to be cremated and buried in a shoebox, no point in wasting money on the dead as she sees it. Maybe I could mix the ashes in some paint and plaster her on my wall...forever....and ever...and ever...

or maybe use use her as snuff!

10. Oct 18, 2005 #9
    I've always wondered, is it possible to use diamond flecks in a tattoo? Then you'd be one flesh:cool:

11. Oct 18, 2005 #10
    Yomamma, you're a gem!:rofl:

I was just about to ask if anyone'd considered the ethical implications of this. I love the younger generations, such pure minds, not yet corrupted by the consumer culture of "silk and diamonds".

12. Oct 18, 2005 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now there's an idea!

You know, since my family doesn't have the bucks to make me into a giant diamond when I shuffle off this mortal coil, perhaps I could settle for just being converted into graphite. I could enjoy a reincarnation as a #2 pencil. :biggrin:

13. Oct 18, 2005 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Well, if I can't afford to be made into a gem, my second option is being stuffed.

14. Oct 18, 2005 #13
    Then I could use the pencil to draw a pichur of you!

15. Oct 18, 2005 #14
    MIH, you already are a beautiful gem.:tongue2:

16. Oct 18, 2005 #15
    This is true, and her new Borg implants only add to the allure. Perhaps she should rename herself Seven Of Math.

17. Oct 18, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want to be either a Kingsford Briquette or a can of graphite lube.

18. Oct 18, 2005 #17

Mk

I pitchur of you!

Smooooooth... but I would revise it to something like:

MIH, you are a beautiful gem. :wink:

19. Oct 19, 2005 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo: I think it is only fitting that we send you out King Tut style.:smile: The Evo exhibit could tour the world!

juvenal and Mk:awrrr!!!:!!) :!!) :!!) you made my day happy! thank you!

Zooby: if you drew my picture with a pencil made out of me - whoa:eek: - that would be so unique and um..circular!! Hey, that gives me a business idea - PM me! :rofl:

Ivan: A briquette? We could have one last great BBQ!:biggrin:

20. Oct 19, 2005 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I die, I want to have my remains launched in to space (Space Services Memorial Space Flights. It's cheaper than becoming a diamond.

Prices range from $1000 to $5300 dollars for having a portion of your remains launched into low Earth orbit. Objects in low Earth orbit are often visible just before sunrise or after sunset, so your relatives could check out heavens-above and watch you fly over once in a while. Of course, objects in a low Earth orbit eventually re-enter the atmosphere, giving one last fiery tribute before returning to Earth one last time.

Or, for about $12500, you could have your remains launched to the Moon or into deep space.

They even plan for contingencies. They only launch a tiny portion of your remains (1 gram to 7 grams) and keep a portion in reserve.... just in case the rocket carrying your remains blows up on the pad, you know.

Edit: This is the same service launching "Scotty" (James Doohan) into Earth orbit in December.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  21. Oct 19, 2005 #20

Mk

I dunno, I always thought I would definitely not want to be shot up into space. Just in case your spirit lingers around your ashes... I would not like to be in space. Like being an astronaut on a spacewalk without a suit.

Ouch! :bugeye:
    ........^^
    You'd look like that

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?