When I'm "finding the derivative" can it be said that I am "differentiating the equation"?

• B
  • Thread starter thetexan
  • Start date
Summary:
Derivatives
I’m am on a path of trying to learn calculus which I should have done long ago. I am making some progress. But I would like to know this....

I know what a derivative is. Is differentiation the process of finding a derivative? In other words, when I am finding the derivative can it be said that I am differentiating the equation?

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Summary:: Derivatives

I’m am on a path of trying to learn calculus which I should have done long ago. I am making some progress. But I would like to know this....

I know what a derivative is.
You don't. This term leads to an entire world and I doubt that you already know it.
Is differentiation the process of finding a derivative?
Yes.
In other words, when I am finding the derivative can it be said that I am differentiating the equation function?
Yes.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Summary:: Derivatives

I know what a derivative is. Is differentiation the process of finding a derivative? In other words, when I am finding the derivative can it be said that I am differentiating the equation?

Tex

You normally differentiate a function, but you can also differentiate both sides of an equation. In any case differentiation is another name for taking the derivative.

Likes Charles Link