Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When is a tensor 0?

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1
    Let [itex]M[/itex] be a module over the commutative ring [itex]K[/itex] with unit 1. I want to prove that [itex]M \cong M \otimes K.[/itex] Define [itex]\phi:M \rightarrow M \otimes K[/itex] by [itex]\phi(m)=m \otimes 1.[/itex] This is a morphism because the tensor product is K-linear in the first slot. It is also easy to show that the map is surjective. This is where I get stuck.

Suppose [itex]\phi(m)=\phi(n),[/itex] so that [itex]0 = m \otimes 1 - n \otimes 1 = (m-n) \otimes 1.[/itex] How do I prove that this implies that [itex]m=n[/itex] and thus the map is injective? More generally, how can you tell when a tensor is 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Use the universal property to find an explicit inverse.

4. Aug 3, 2013 #3
    Thanks, micromass! I think I've got it. If you wouldn't mind, please let me know if this looks alright.

Define [itex]h: M \times K \rightarrow M[/itex] by [itex]h(m,k)=mk.[/itex] This map is bilinear, so it factors through the tensor map [itex]M \times K \rightarrow M \otimes K.[/itex] Thus there is a unique (irrelevant?) morphism [itex]f[/itex] such that [itex]f(m \otimes k)=mk.[/itex] This is the right and left inverse of the morphism [itex]\phi[/itex], implying that [itex]\phi[/itex] is an isomorphism.

5. Aug 3, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That looks alright! The uniqueness of the map is indeed irrelevant here, but it's nice to know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook