1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When is an equation linear?

1. Oct 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let k [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\Re[/itex] / {0}. Which of the three equations is linear in x, y, z?

x + y - z = tan(k)

kx - (1/k)y = 6

(3^k)x + y + z = 12

Well the question is basic, but I'm a little stumped because the questions asks for a single linear equation. By definition a linear equation is linear if it contains only terms that are constants or products of constants and variables in the first power. By that definition I think all should be linear in x, y and z. E.g. since k is a constant, tan(k) would also be a constant, right? The second equation is also linear, but is it linear in all three variables? I think it is linear in all three since it basically also includes the product of z and the constant 0.
    And I think the third equation is similar as well, if k is supposed to be a constant.

Can anybody just quickly tell me if there really is only one linear equation here and whether what I have come up with is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

All three are linear. All three represent planes in R3. The fact that the equations include tan(k), 1/k, and 3k respectively, has no bearing. As far as x, y, and z are concerned, k is a constant, so tan(k), 1/k, and 3k are constants as well.

4. Oct 27, 2013 #3
    Thanks a lot for the quick answer. One more question though, what does it mean for an equation to be linear in x, y and z?

5. Oct 27, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You already explained that yourself in your previous response.

6. Oct 27, 2013 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

What if [itex]k=\pi/2+n\pi, n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] ? We have a problem with [itex]\tan{k}[/itex] in that situation.

7. Oct 28, 2013 #6

Mark44

Sure, tan(k) is undefined for these values, but I don't think that affects the "linearness" of the equation, with regard to x, y, and z.

8. Oct 28, 2013 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Sure, I guess, but notice that they defined [itex]k\in\mathbb{R}/\{0\}[/itex]
    I'd hazard a guess that they excluded k=0 because of this equation

But is it because of the kx term or the undefined y/k term? Or possibly both? If it's because of the undefined value, then I'd have to say that they probably just forgot to remove the values of k where tan(k) is undefined.

9. Oct 28, 2013 #8

Mark44

That would be my guess as well. The problem writer might have gotten sloppy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted