Is Free Cooling Beneficial for Buildings with High Internal Heat Production?

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary, free cooling is the process of producing chilled water without the use of chillers by utilizing cool air. This can be useful for rooms with high internal heat production, such as server rooms. However, it is dependent on the space load and proper load calculations and system conceptualization are necessary. For example, in a printing company where there is a significant amount of heat produced, it can be challenging to determine whether heat or air conditioning is needed in the winter. Heat recovery or mixing with room air may be necessary for ventilation air to avoid introducing freezing cold air into the building.
TSN79
I'm trying to understand the concept of free cooling. I've found that this is the production of chilled water without the use of chillers, i.e. the use of cool air. But what I don't get is that if the temperature outside is low, isn't the need for cooling pretty much not there? I only see this to be useful for rooms which have a major internal heat production, like server rooms and such. Is this correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The question of course is: How cool? Free cooling can be very useful. Do a bit of research (it takes very little) on a Sterling engine and you will know what I mean.

Food refrigeration/freezing comes to mind. Rather silly to power a mechanical cooling system when the outside temperature is at or below the temperature of the refrigerator -- especially at a commercial scale.

This is entirely dependent on the space load since, as you pointed out, there is negative building envelope load in winter. Depending on the geometry of the building, it is quite common for large portions of an office building to have a relatively constant air conditioning load year-round. So proper load calculations and system conceptualization are the only ways to adequately answer the question.

I'm currently dealing with a printing company who'se presses put off an enormous amount of heat (a megawatt or so). They also have significant exhaust and ventilation requirements, with much of the heat being in that exhaust. Figuring out whether this building needs heat or air conditioning in the winter is a significant problem. At the very least, you can't dump freezing cold air into a building, so the ventilation air needs to be heated somehow, either by heat recovery or mixing with room air.

1. What is free cooling?

Free cooling is a method of using natural sources of cool air, such as outdoor air or water, to cool a building or system instead of relying on mechanical refrigeration. It is primarily used for cooling purposes in commercial and industrial settings.

2. When is free cooling most useful?

Free cooling is most useful in areas with a large temperature difference between day and night, as well as during seasons when the outdoor air is cooler than the desired indoor temperature. It is also useful in regions with mild climates and low humidity.

3. How does free cooling work?

Free cooling systems typically use a heat exchanger to transfer heat from the warm indoor air to the cool outdoor air or water. This allows the building or system to be cooled without the need for mechanical refrigeration, resulting in energy and cost savings.

4. What are the benefits of using free cooling?

The main benefit of free cooling is the reduction in energy consumption and cost compared to traditional cooling methods. It also has minimal environmental impact as it utilizes natural sources of cool air instead of relying on chemical refrigerants.

5. Are there any limitations to using free cooling?

Free cooling is not suitable for all climates and may not be effective in areas with high humidity or extreme temperatures. It also requires careful planning and design to ensure efficient operation and may not be suitable for all types of buildings or systems.