Understanding Continuity: When is a Function Continuous?

• Thread starter DespicableMe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, the function f(x)/g(x) is continuous when g(x) does not equal 0. The other options, a) and c), are incorrect because they do not take into account the possibility of g(x) being equal to 0. The correct answer is b) because a function cannot be continuous if it has a denominator of 0.
DespicableMe

Homework Statement

You're simply given f(x)/g(x) and it asks, when is the function continuous?

There was one that was definitely wrong, so I remember these remaining choices:
a) It is continuous when f(x) and g(x) are defined
b) " " when g(x) cannot equal 0
c) " " when g(x) is defined.

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose c) but I realized that it could be b) because you can't have a denominator 0. At the time, I was thinking that defined meant having a value that is not 0 because usually when a function has a denominator 0, we call the function "undefined."

Can someone please clarify? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is b. "Defined" just means that a function has a value.

1. What is continuity?

Continuity refers to the smooth and unbroken flow of a function or a mathematical object. It means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the values of the function.

2. How is continuity determined?

Continuity can be determined by checking if the function is defined at the given point, if the limit of the function at that point exists, and if the value of the function at that point is equal to the limit.

3. What makes a function discontinuous?

A function is discontinuous if it fails to meet the criteria for continuity. This can happen if the function is undefined at a certain point, if the limit at that point does not exist, or if the limit and the value of the function at that point are not equal.

4. Can a function be continuous at one point and discontinuous at another?

Yes, a function can be continuous at one point and discontinuous at another. This is known as a point of discontinuity and it can occur due to various reasons such as a jump, a hole, or an asymptote in the graph of the function.

5. How is continuity related to differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related, but they are not the same. A function can be continuous but not differentiable at a point, while a function that is differentiable at a point must also be continuous at that point. In other words, differentiability is a stronger condition than continuity.