When is it Appropriate to Apply Mathematical Operations to Objects?

• Thread starter sigurdW
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of addition and how it applies to joining objects such as sticks. The speaker argues that while adding two objects together may result in a longer object, this does not necessarily follow the traditional rules of addition. The conversation also delves into the question of whether there are guidelines for applying mathematical operations to objects, and the potential flaws in using addition as a model for certain scenarios.
sigurdW
When we join sticks together beside each other we get a good picture of addition.

Let "l" symbolize a stick then l+l=ll illustrates 1+1=2

But if we join sticks together to form one long stick, the joining has not the qualities of addition.

Are there guidelines when we apply mathematical operations to objects?

I thought this was a philosophical question but the thread got closed.

If the question on how we can apply numbers to reality in a safe way is not philosophical

nor mathematical (I predict this thread gets closed as well) then what kind of question is it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sigurdW said:
When we join sticks together beside each other we get a good picture of addition.

But if we join sticks together to form one long stick, the joining has not the qualities of addition.
I don't understand what you mean by this. What "qualities of addition" does this not have? I don't see why joining many sticks should be any different from joining two.

Are there guidelines when we apply mathematical operations to objects?
Well, you don't, strictly speaking, "apply mathematicsl operations to objects". We can, and I believe this is what you mean, represent what we are doing to objects as mathematical operations as long as we know what we are doing has all the "qualities" of the mathematical operation.

I thought this was a philosophical question but the thread got closed.

If the question on how we can apply numbers to reality in a safe way is not philosophical

nor mathematical (I predict this thread gets closed as well) then what kind of question is it?

sigurdW said:

Sure it does. When you join one stick to another, the length of the new stick is equal to the sum of the lengths of the sticks that were used to make it.

In your first example, you are counting sticks. In your second example, you are adding lengths.

I've once had someone arguing that maths is flawed because if you add 1 raindrop to another raindrop, then you still have 1 raindrop, thus 1+1=1.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't understand what you mean by this. What "qualities of addition" does this not have? I don't see why joining many sticks should be any different from joining two.
I am not sure answering your question won't get the thread closed...But ok: If you join the sticks together into ONE stick then some silly fool might say: Oh look! One stick added to another here results in one stick, twice as long naturally, but still ONE stick so if we don't care about length then 1+1=1, 1+n=1 and generally ax+bx=1 for joining sticks this way...
We can't allow such nonsense, can we? He is misapplying maths. What should we tell him?

Suddenly the rain drop argument drops by...Math isn't flawed in itself, but mustnt some care be taken when you apply mathematics? And I sort of asks: What care? (Join two rabbits and they might not form a constant sum.) Can we for (imagined or not) objects be sure in advance that joining them will conform to addition? Or must we always test?

The first time I thought about the game of "interpreting" the equation: x+x=nx for n not being zero or two, was while reading on transfinite numbers. If the rule of addition for them are their union then one infinite set + another infinite set (of same cardinality) would be an example of n=1...so to make things consistent we define things to be not so. A question here is if we perhaps are over reacting?
A possible example? :Objects classified into four cathegories depending on their having outside and inside or not...Maybe their characteristics give different values for n? Remember this is not claimed to be so! Its mostly a joke:

1 Real objects having both (n=2)
2 Elementary objects lacking insides(n=2) elementary particles
3 Inclusive objects lacking outside(n=1)? the everything, the universe
4 Imaginary objects lacking both (n=0) the nothings

Last edited:
sigurdW said:
Im not sure answering your question won't get the thread closed...But ok: If you join the sticks together into ONE stick then some silly fool might say: Oh look! One stick added to another here results in one stick, twice as long naturally, but still ONE stick so if we don't care about length then 1+1=1, 1+n=1 and generally ax+bx=1 for joining sticks this way...
We can't allow such nonsense, can we? He is misapplying maths. What should we tell him?

Suddenly the rain drop argument drops by...Math isn't flawed in itself, but mustnt some care be taken when you apply mathematics? And I sort of asks: What care? (Join two rabbits and they might not form a constant sum.) Can we for all imagined objects be sure in advance that joining them will conform to addition? Or must we always test?

The care follows when you get observant about the (essentially arbitrary) laws defining some mathematical version of "addition".

For those real world cases where those laws seem to apply as well, then that particular addition operation can be expected to work.

You can, of course, make other types of mathematial "addition" than the usual one.

What should we tell him?

That addition is clearly the wrong model for what he wants to do. Choose something else.

Thank you guys, I like your answers.

Mentallic said:
I've once had someone arguing that maths is flawed because if you add 1 raindrop to another raindrop, then you still have 1 raindrop, thus 1+1=1.

That's actually not flawed. It's just Boolean Math. 1 raindrop AND 1 raindrop = 1 raindrop! :smile:

Curious3141 said:
That's actually not flawed. It's just Boolean Math. 1 raindrop AND 1 raindrop = 1 raindrop! :smile:

Haha I did explain to him that there exist other systems (or you can at least create one) that deals with such problems, but it was fruitless.

It just depends on your audience. For example, I've never really felt compelled to say "oh sure, you can divide by zero... in the projective real line".

One easy interpretation is to think of different sticks as orthogonal variables and the legth of the stick as the value of a particular variable. So two different sticks are x=1,y=1 and adding one stick to another is setting x = 2.

Mentallic said:

Amusing.

But ask him to rigorously define "raindrop". Make him provide properties such as volume. Then he'll see.

1. What is the difference between joining and adding?

Joining and adding are two different mathematical operations. Joining refers to combining two or more groups of objects together to form a larger group. Adding, on the other hand, is the process of finding the total sum of two or more numbers or quantities.

2. When should I use joining instead of adding?

Joining is typically used when we are looking to combine groups or sets of objects, such as when we are counting the total number of items in a group. Adding, on the other hand, is used when we want to find the total sum or quantity of a given set of numbers.

3. What is the difference between joining and multiplying?

Joining and multiplying are both mathematical operations that involve combining groups or sets together. However, joining involves combining groups of objects, while multiplying involves combining groups of equal size or quantity. For example, joining 3 groups of 2 objects each would result in a total of 6 objects, while multiplying 3 by 2 would also result in 6.

4. How do I know when to use joining or adding in a word problem?

In a word problem, you can determine whether to use joining or adding by looking at the context of the problem. If the problem involves combining groups or sets of objects, then you would use joining. If the problem involves finding the total sum or quantity of a given set of numbers, then you would use adding.

5. Can joining and adding be used together in a problem?

Yes, joining and adding can be used together in a problem. For example, if a problem involves joining two groups of objects and then adding another group, you would first join the two groups together and then add the third group to find the total sum.