1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When is net torque equal to 0?

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    when is net torque equal to 0??

Each of the four bars shown can rotate freely in the horizontal plane about its left end. For which diagrams is the net torque equal to zero?
    http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1003642/26/170580B.jpg
    _____
    i know that for torque to equal O angular momentum = I(omega) is constant and conserved... but i'm having trouble applying this to the diagram ... i thought D would be part of the answer because the Newtons all cancel out ... help??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Whether the force cancels out doesn't matter. Just add up all the torques from each force to get the total.

4. Oct 18, 2007 #3
    anyone else can help me? i need more to go on...

5. Oct 18, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Do you know how to calculate the torque from each force? Since the forces are all perpendicular to the distance (r) it's simply T = rF. (Be sure to give clockwise and counterclockwise torques different signs.)

6. Oct 18, 2007 #5
    let's do it this way. look at diagram a. if torque = rF then torque for the four forces from left to right is 0, 6(L/4), 1(3L/4), and 7(L)?? maybe if i know how to solve for one i can do it on my own

7. Oct 18, 2007 #6

Doc Al

I don't know where you got the 6 N force, I see 8 N. Maybe a typo?

Here's how I would do it. First, I'll call counter-clockwise torques positive and clockwise torques negative. Here's what I get for each force in A:
    0 + 8(L/4) - 1(3L/4) - 7(L) = 2L -3L/4 - 7L = -5.75L (which is sure not zero. Next!)

8. Oct 18, 2007 #7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?