1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When is the expression real

1. May 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the expression ##a_2\overline{β} + a_3β## involving complex variables, where ##|β|≤1##. I was wondering, is it possible to determine for what ##a_2## and ##a_3## the expression is always real, for every ##β## satisfying ##|β|≤1##; or is there insufficient information?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was under the impression an inquiry constituted an attempt. At any rate, I am not asking anyone to solve the problem; I am merely asking if solving such a problem is possible given the information. This doesn't come from a textbook, although I am sure it is considered a standard, textbook question.

How is this for an attempt?

##a_2 \overline{\beta} + a_3 \beta = r##, where ##r## is some real number.

##a_2 = \frac{r - a_3 \beta}{\overline{\beta}} = e^{i \theta} - a_3 e^{2 i \theta}##

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not very impressive. Maybe the answer is pretty obvious.

Edit: when is the sum of two complex numbers real?

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  4. May 8, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try writing ##\beta = x + iy## and then require the imaginary part of the expression you wrote to equal 0.

5. May 8, 2015 #4
    Wouldn't I have to do the same for ##a_2## and ##a_3##, seeing as I am trying to solve for these?

6. May 8, 2015 #5
    As PeroK noted, my situation is a particular case of a more general result--namely, that ##z_1 + z_2 = 0 \implies Im~z_2 = -Im~z_1##. But this doesn't seem particularly illuminating as ##Im~(a_2 \overline{\beta}) = - Im~(a_3 \beta)## produces a somewhat intricate equation.

7. May 8, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would say that ##Im(z_1) = -Im(z_2)## is very illuminating. Can you think of when that is the case?

8. May 8, 2015 #7
    When what is the case? When ##Im~(z_1) = -Im~(z_2)## is true? Isn't it true when ##y_2 = -y_1##?

9. May 8, 2015 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Complex conjugates have that property!

10. May 8, 2015 #9
    I don't think we can claim that ##z_1## and ##z_2## are complex conjugates as they could have different real parts.

11. May 8, 2015 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, but IF they are complex conjugates, then they have that property.

12. May 8, 2015 #11
    Sure, I would agree with that, but I can't conclude from that that ##a_2 \overline{\beta}## and ##a_3 \beta## are complex conjugates, if that's what you are aiming at.

13. May 8, 2015 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not directly, no. But if ##a_2## and ##a_3## are complex conjugates?

14. May 8, 2015 #13
    Yes, I agree. But I am trying to deduce what ##a_2## and ##a_3## are, not assign a property to them. My problem is, how do I not know there are more cases?

15. May 8, 2015 #14

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the next question. You know that if ##a_2## and ##a_3## are conjugates, then ##a_2 \bar{\beta} + a_3 \beta## is real for all ##\beta##.

Now you have to show that they must be conjugates. Hint: consider ##\beta = i##.

16. May 8, 2015 #15

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\alpha_2## and ##\alpha_3## need not be conjugates. A complex number is real if and only if it equals its own conjugate, so the requirement that ##\alpha_2 \overline{\beta} + \alpha_3 \beta## is real is equivalent to
    $$\alpha_2 \overline{\beta} + \alpha_3 \beta = \overline{\alpha_2} \beta + \overline{\alpha_3} \overline{\beta}$$
    Rearranging, this is the same as
    $$\beta(\alpha_3 - \overline{\alpha_2}) = \overline{\beta}(\overline{\alpha_3} - \alpha_2)$$
    Writing ##\alpha_3 = a + bi## and ##\alpha_2 = c + di##, the above becomes
    $$\beta(a - c + i(b - d)) = \overline{\beta}(a - c - i(b + d))$$
    This is one linear equation with four unknowns, so there are three degrees of freedom in specifying ##a,b,c,d##: you can set any three of them freely, and solve for the fourth. If it was necessary for ##\alpha_2## and ##\alpha_3## to be conjugates, you would only have two degrees of freedom available.

17. May 8, 2015 #16

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, except this was supposed to be the case for all ##\beta##. If the expression is real for all ##\beta## then ##a_2## and ##a_3## must be conjugates.

18. May 8, 2015 #17

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oops, sorry, I missed that! In that case, I agree: consider ##\beta = i##.

19. May 8, 2015 #18

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If we write ##v = a_3 - \bar{a_2}## your condition is that ##\beta v = \overline{\beta v}##, so ##\beta v = ## real for all ##|\beta| \leq 1##. Write ##\beta = r e^{i t}## and ##v = R e^{i w}##. If ##rR \neq 0## this implies ##e^{i(t+w)} =## real for all ##w \in [0, 2 \pi)##, so ##\sin(t+w) = 0## for all ##t##. Do you think that is possible?

Last edited: May 8, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted