Light Reflection: Path Length Difference?

In summary, the path length difference when light reflects from a thin film back toward the source is equal to twice the thickness of the film, taking into account the angle of incidence and the refractive index of the film. Additionally, there is a phase change of 180 degrees upon reflection from an optically denser medium. Therefore, the answer is most likely A.
McAfee

Homework Statement

When light reflects from a thin film back toward the source, what is the path length difference?

The Attempt at a Solution

A. It is equal to twice the thickness of the film.
B. It is equal to the thickness of the film.
C. It is equal to half the thickness of the film.

I have rules out C. I think the answer is A but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm leaning towards A now. Anyone have any ideas?

Tell us why you are leaning towards A and we can help you evaluate that thought process.

I guess the path length difference is between the rays reflected from the two surfaces of the film. When light reflects from a "thin" film back toward the source, the angle of incidence is approximately 90 degree. So, the optical path length difference is twice the film thickness times the refractive index of the film. One also has to take into account the fact that a phase change of 180 degree occurs upon reflection from an optically denser medium.

I can confirm that the correct answer is A. The path length difference is equal to twice the thickness of the film. This is because when light reflects off a thin film, it travels a distance of twice the thickness of the film before reaching the source. This can be explained by the fact that the light travels through the film twice - once when it enters the film and again when it exits the film. This results in a path length difference of twice the thickness of the film. Therefore, A is the correct answer.

1. What is light reflection and how does it occur?

Light reflection is the phenomenon of light bouncing off a surface when it encounters it. This occurs due to the interaction of light with the atoms and molecules of the surface, causing it to change direction and travel in a different path.

2. What is the path length difference in light reflection?

The path length difference in light reflection refers to the difference in distance traveled by two light rays that are reflected off a surface. This difference can affect the intensity and direction of the reflected light.

3. How does the path length difference affect the color of reflected light?

The path length difference can affect the color of reflected light by causing interference between the two reflected rays. This interference can either enhance or cancel out certain wavelengths of light, resulting in a change in color.

4. What are some real-life examples of light reflection and path length difference?

One common example of light reflection and path length difference is the appearance of colored bands on a thin film of oil on water. This is due to the interference of light waves reflecting off the top and bottom surfaces of the film. Another example is the rainbow effect seen on a CD or DVD, which is caused by the interference of light reflecting off the grooves on the surface.

5. How is light reflection and path length difference used in scientific research?

Light reflection and path length difference are used in various scientific research fields, such as optics, astronomy, and material science. They are important in understanding the behavior of light and its interaction with different materials, as well as in the development of technologies such as optical coatings and photonic devices.