What are the effects of unconsciousness on sexual arousal and cardiac events?

• Medical
  • Thread starter iBop
  • Start date
In summary, when one becomes unconscious, will his/her sexual genitals still be activated [sexual arousal, erection etc]? Yes, I think there could be bodily changes, but there wouldn't be arousal in the normal sense of the word. Men who have been hanged sometimes have erections after death.
iBop
When one becomes unconscious, will his/her sexual genitals still be activated [sexual arousal, erection etc]?

Biology news on Phys.org
Why do you want to know? :uhh:

And I'm guessing that it's at least possible for them to be operable, after all men do experience nocturnal emissions while not conscious.

I would like to know if that happens when a man or a woman is, say, hit to unconscious.
After that will he/she be sexually enjoyable ? Many rapists do this, and I don't know about the victim.

iBop said:
When one becomes unconscious, will his/her sexual genitals still be activated [sexual arousal, erection etc]?

Considering unconsciousness regards the inability to operate higher executive functions of the brain and being that sexual arousal and secretions related are controlled by the sympathetic nervous system, which in theory should be functional, I would take a guess and say yes.

Yes but if you're not conscious how can you experience arousal? Yes, I think there could be bodily changes, but there wouldn't be arousal in the normal sense of the word.

I think you're trying to ask if it's plausible that a man can be raped after being knocked unconscious, at least in the sense of sustaining a sufficient erection for penetration to occur.

This will depend upon how the person ended up unconscious, drugs (and which drugs) or injury to the brain. I'm not going to go into details of which leads to an erection and which doesn't, because I really don't want to be giving any psychopaths ideas, but the simple answer is, yes, it's possible.

Comparisons to a state of sleeping aren't really ideal. Sleep and unconsciousness are not the same thing. When someone is knocked unconscious, they are not merely sleeping.

As for the article Mk posted, much of erectile function is a spinal reflex under inhibitory control from the brain. In situations where the brain inhibition is removed, such as spinal cord injuries in the cervical or upper thoracic regions of the spine, spontaneous erections can occur via the now uninhibited spinal reflex loop (the lumbar portion of the spinal cord needs to remain uninjured for this to occur). Of course, no perception of sensation accompanies these erections, since the spinal cord injury higher up prevents the sensory input from being relayed to the brain.

Nitroglycerin is usually given in a situation like that--if someone is there or the patient can get to it themselves in time.
If the patient is dead when the EMTs/medics arrive...then she is dead. There is nothing that can revive her. If someone had been there to give her oxygen, mouth to mouth...then obviously, they could have given the patient her needed medication, too. Right?
The name of the disease/attack? Heart attack can do that. So can congestive heart failure.
When your heart stops or fails to pump adequately your brain becomes starved of oxygen so you collapse, your muscles relax and so you fall to the floor.
What else do you think could happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What causes a person to become unconscious?

There are various factors that can cause a person to become unconscious, including head injuries, severe dehydration, lack of oxygen, and certain medical conditions such as seizures or fainting spells. In some cases, it can also be a side effect of medication or drug use.

2. How long does it typically take for someone to regain consciousness?

The amount of time it takes for someone to regain consciousness can vary depending on the cause and severity of the unconsciousness. In some cases, a person may regain consciousness within a few seconds, while in others it may take several minutes or even longer.

3. Is it possible for someone to be unconscious but still able to hear or feel things?

Yes, it is possible for someone to be unconscious but still able to hear or feel things. This is known as a coma, where a person is in a deep state of unconsciousness but may still have some level of awareness. It is important to note that not all unconscious individuals will experience this.

4. What should I do if I encounter someone who is unconscious?

If you encounter someone who is unconscious, the first step is to check their breathing and pulse. If they are not breathing, call for emergency medical assistance and begin CPR if you are trained to do so. If they are breathing, place them in the recovery position and monitor their condition until help arrives.

5. Can someone who frequently becomes unconscious have serious health problems?

Frequent episodes of unconsciousness can be a sign of an underlying health issue, so it is important to seek medical attention if someone experiences this often. It could be a symptom of a neurological disorder, heart condition, or other medical problem that requires treatment.