Did someone actually drill a hole in their iPhone 7 for a headphone jack?

• Thread starter nsaspook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
In summary, a YouTuber uploaded a video showing a "secret hack" to get a headphone jack in the iPhone 7 by drilling a hole into the smartphone. This has led to some people actually attempting the hack and drilling holes into their phones. The technology behind the headphone jack is outdated and many smartphones have an FM receiver that uses the headphone jack as an antenna coupler. However, there are different standards for 3.5mm jacks and it is difficult to determine which one you have. The video has not been censored on YouTube and is reminiscent of other pranks from Prank University.
nsaspook
Science Advisor
http://www.craveonline.com/design/1...g-holes-iphone-7-make-headphone-jack#/slide/1
Last week YouTuber TechRax uploaded a video in which he outlined a “secret hack” to get a headphone jack in the iPhone 7. In the video, he uses a drill to forcibly insert a hole into his smartphone which, as you’d imagine, doesn’t actually work. Unfortunately, that joke has flown over the heads of many, and TechRax has therefore been unwittingly responsible for a number of people actually drilling holes into their iPhone 7 handsets. Stop the planet, I want to get off.

If only one person did this.
doh.gif

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Borg, beamie564 and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
rofl2.gif

Likes Sundown444 and Pepper Mint
Thank goodness he didn't show how to access the hidden USB jack in the iPhone 7 users forehead.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Ibix, Sophia and 1 other person
At least we can hope people don't try that hack twice. They should know the drill by now.

Likes beamie564, davenn, Ibix and 2 others
I recently read an article on this subject that said that the technology behind the headphone jack in smartphones is so archaic that it goes back to the days of the transistor radio. It is actually the main reason that most smartphones aren't a lot thinner. It's a hard habit to break, though.

Reminds me on my favorite bumper sticker: "Stupidity of human is inviolable." as a persiflage on our first article of our constitution where it says dignity.

Many of the smartphones actually have an FM receiver inside (http://freeradioonmyphone.org/) that also uses the headphone jack as an antenna coupler to the headphone wires.

nsaspook said:
If only one person did this.
I'm skeptical that anyone actually did that.

DrClaude said:
I'm skeptical that anyone actually did that.

You sir, are a optimist. :biggrin:
"... the universe and human stupidity"

Well, when you are a kid and want something, you believe in it. You believe it can be done.
DiracPool said:
I recently read an article on this subject that said that the technology behind the headphone jack in smartphones is so archaic that it goes back to the days of the transistor radio. It is actually the main reason that most smartphones aren't a lot thinner. It's a hard habit to break, though.
It is archaic. So archaic that when you put a TRS in a TRRS jack, it makes a short circuit. However, because it is not harmful, it is ignored. But still, it IS a short circuit. It is defective by design.

Not to mention that Apple, Nokia, and others have each made their own standards out of 3.5mm jacks. They look the same, but the contacts serve different purposes. And to make things worse, no one tells you which one you are buying. Everyone in the world sell it to you as simple TRRS jack without diagrams or anything, when in reality, they are different. Go figure out which one you have.

Source: http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Likes Sophia and Bystander
I'm amazed that this video is, like, the last thing left on YouTube that hasn't been censored yet - still there! Secret Hack To Get Headphone Jack on the iPhone 7 - YouTube . Reminds me of some of the stuff from Prank University, which you can still find on archive.org. (I'm afraid to link to that one because Berners-Lee was an idiot and hyperlinks are EVIL; let's see if I get banned for knowing it's there at all) *Make sure you have a spare pair of underwear before listening to the one about the apple juice, in case you have a laugh malfunction)

• Haha
Likes BillTre

1. What is the reason behind drilling a hole in an iPhone 7 for a headphone jack?

The reason behind drilling a hole in an iPhone 7 for a headphone jack is because the iPhone 7 model does not have a traditional headphone jack. Instead, it uses a lightning port for audio output, which requires users to use either Bluetooth headphones or a lightning to headphone jack adapter. Some users may prefer the convenience of having a physical headphone jack and attempt to drill a hole in their phone to create one.

2. Is it safe to drill a hole in an iPhone 7 for a headphone jack?

No, it is not safe to drill a hole in an iPhone 7 for a headphone jack. The iPhone 7 is not designed to have a headphone jack, so drilling a hole can cause damage to the internal components of the phone. It can also void the warranty and potentially make the phone unusable.

3. Can drilling a hole in an iPhone 7 damage the phone?

Yes, drilling a hole in an iPhone 7 can damage the phone. The internal components of the phone are delicate and drilling a hole can cause damage to them. It can also cause the phone to malfunction or become unusable.

4. Are there any alternatives to drilling a hole in an iPhone 7 for a headphone jack?

Yes, there are alternatives to drilling a hole in an iPhone 7 for a headphone jack. Users can use Bluetooth headphones or a lightning to headphone jack adapter to connect their headphones to the phone. There are also cases available that have a built-in headphone jack for convenience.

5. Can an iPhone 7 be repaired after drilling a hole for a headphone jack?

It depends on the extent of the damage caused by drilling the hole. If the internal components are damaged, it may not be possible to repair the phone. It is always recommended to seek professional help if the phone is damaged due to drilling a hole for a headphone jack.