When should one move out and live on his or her own?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
Yes. The parents deserve it. :biggrin:

I left home ASAP [about nine months after graduating high school] with everything I owned in a backpack. I also had a 240Z but had to sell it immediately as I could no longer afford the payments.

Huh... I had almost forgotten the last drive in my Z - ~ 120-130 mph for six hours straight [less one gas stop]. It was a miracle we didn't get busted.
Did you cook yourself? I am a guy just to let you know...

What happens if your parents don't want you to live alone? Because my mother frightens me sometimes when she says she will live me and my "future wife"...

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Did you cook yourself? I am a guy just to let you know...

What happens if your parents don't want you to live alone? Because my mother frightens me sometimes when she says she will live me and my "future wife"...
I like her sense of planning. I plan on doing the same, except I've planned this out in much more detail.

I'll spend six or seven months walking around the house singing "You got it. Toyota."

Then, unexpectedly, I'll switch to singing, "The single most double in the world is .... double good, double good, Double Mint Gum" for six or seven months with new jingles periodically just to keep things interesting.

When we go places, I'll have to sit in the front seat while the wife or husband sit in the backseat since my joints will be too stiff to get into and out of the back seat. I'll read all of the signs we see along the road out loud, just so no one misses anything.

Once in a while, I'll let my dentures fall out my mouth and the dog will grab them and I'll have to chase the dog around the house, but I'll never catch him since my joints are old and stiff. The dog will hide my dentures and someone finding them unexpectedly under the couch cushion will make their day more pleasant and exciting.

They'll love me!!

And well they should, since we'll all be living big off of my social security check. In fact, I consider living with your kids one way to make sure the younger generation keeps paying social security taxes. They'll actually have a stake in making sure their parents keep receiving social security checks.

hotvette

Homework Helper
How long someone lives with their parents largely depends on two primary factors (1) living environment at home, and (2) economic environment meaning jobs. I've heard of many a college grad who live with their parents because they can't find a sustainable job. My nephew dropped out of college his senior year and lived with his parents for 5+ years until he got a good job (and a girlfriend). A guy in my rural home town worked as a grocery store stock boy and was living with his parents into his 30's.

I essentially moved out (in my mind) when I went off to college. My mom moved to a different town when I was a freshman (after my sister graduated from HS) so I didn't really consider her house 'home'. It was just a place to stay on semester breaks and for a couple of summers. I could have stayed much more but remained at school one summer (research job) and had out of state summer jobs in subsequent years (adventure). After grad school, engineering jobs were plentiful so was truly on my own.

Last edited:
Any advice to start living on your own? I can probably work as a cashier...