What can we learn from past economic collapses to prepare for the future?

• News
  • Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economy
In summary, the increasing debt is no biggie. The US can create massive surpluses incredibly easily, it can dump stupid ass military projects like star wars, it can butt out of the Middle East and remove its listening posts etc from the face of the Earth and can stop bailing out down the dirt companies. If an economy collapses, teachers/doctors/lawyers survive.
cronxeh
Gold Member
I wonder who will be the one who survives the collapse of the government and law n order once the Government debt reaches its tipping point? With raising national debt to both domestic and foreign entities, the US Government will start printing more money and the inflation will take place. As it happens to be so, I was born in Russia in 1984 and I've seen this happen before. With India and China today, I know where the US is heading - an economic collapse so severe, it will be almost overnight.

What kind of jobs will survive? Farming? Engineering? I'd like to know, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
there will be the guy with the thumb in his &#*.
and...
oh yeah! looting might see a revival.

but, then, you know, only the elitist looters would remain, having looted all the "little guys".

and, maybe, the whole thing will start over again and we'll call it capitalism.

cronxeh said:
I wonder who will be the one who survives the collapse of the government and law n order once the Government debt reaches its tipping point? With raising national debt to both domestic and foreign entities, the US Government will start printing more money and the inflation will take place. As it happens to be so, I was born in Russia in 1984 and I've seen this happen before. With India and China today, I know where the US is heading - an economic collapse so severe, it will be almost overnight.
What kind of jobs will survive? Farming? Engineering? I'd like to know, thanks.

What a bright outlook for the world. Just to straighten something up before people begin commiting suicide in light of what appears to be the prophecy of economic annihiliation, the increasing debt is no biggie. The US can create massive surpluses incredibly easily, it can dump stupid ass military projects like star wars, it can butt out of the Middle East and remove its listening posts etc from the face of the Earth and can stop bailing out down the dirt companies.

If an economy collapses, teachers/doctors/lawyers survive

NewScientist said:
What a bright outlook for the world. Just to straighten something up before people begin commiting suicide in light of what appears to be the prophecy of economic annihiliation, the increasing debt is no biggie. The US can create massive surpluses incredibly easily, it can dump stupid ass military projects like star wars, it can butt out of the Middle East and remove its listening posts etc from the face of the Earth and can stop bailing out down the dirt companies.
If an economy collapses, teachers/doctors/lawyers survive

Excuse me, Sir/Madam, but you seem to be unaware about a few things:

1. only 50 years ago there were 4 billion people less than today.

2. there is no surplus in the government - each day the United States borrows $3 BILLION just to pay off the interest - not the debt itself.

Edit: I should probably clarify: The US can not create surplus.

Last edited:
I'd LOVE you to read what I wrote! I said America CAN create massive surpluses, not that they currently exist.

And why does 4 billion people more make a difference?! Or indeed 50 years?

It's remarkable the state of the U.S. national debt which now stands at $8,117,426,006,184. When Clinton was leaving office the budget surpluses he was accumulating had the U.S. on track to eliminate the national debt entirely by the year 2010. This would have saved, due to the reduction of debt servicing, 12 cents in each tax dollar to further reduce taxes or increase services.

He handed over the economy and U.S. society in it's best shape ever. Record surpluses, lowest unemployment in many years with 22 million new jobs created in his 8 year term, education and health improving in leaps and bounds, highest per capita income ever, tremendous respect around the world and all despite the best efforts of the republican congress to sabotage everything he did.

Before leaving office he warned the electorate the neocon republicans would cut the legs off the poor and hand out all the anticipated surpluses plus more in tax cuts to themselves and he was right.

Apart from the top elite 3-5% of the electorate that the republicans actually represents it is beyond me why anybody would vote republican. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
And what has Bush done differently...exactly!

reality is a problem for dreamers.

"if i can't have the American Dream, then I'll be damned if Reality doesn't suffer because of it... Vote Republican." :)

Aside from CIA selling crack cocaine to fund their activities back in the day, and US corporations selling billions of dollars of assault weapons to the Saudi's after the Desert Storm, the Bush dynasty has increased military budget - from 2001 to 2005 the budget rose by 100 Billion dollars annually, among other things.

Sameandnot - Stop quoting everywhere! It doesn't make you right! Some dumb ass made a game called something like "the road to baghdad" where you rolled dice and got given cards along ther lines of "suicide bombers kills 50 of your men", and you win if you get to the capital with the most men. He defended this atrocious game by saying it was the American Dream.

(I am only remembering something that was broadcast on the BBC1 show 'Have I Got News For You' I do not promise to be exact in my wording but the gist is correct and thus hope I cannot be sued! I also hope somebody will come along with exact references!)

and
cronxeh said:
Aside from CIA selling crack cocaine to fund their activities back in the day, and US corporations selling billions of dollars of assault weapons to the Saudi's after the Desert Storm, the Bush dynasty has increased military budget - from 2001 to 2005 the budget rose by 100 Billion dollars annually, among other things.
Exactly - and the rest !

plus, he is a dumb-ass. i can't even watch the guy without feeling sorry for him... and the world.

rrreaow!

Some achievements of Bush that spring to mind are;

He declared a war on terror and succeeded in changing a small terrorist network with supporters numbered in the 1000s into a formidable international fighting force with supporters now in the millions and all for the paltry sum of several hundred billion dollars of U.S. tax payers money. Way to go! :rolleyes:

He's managed to undo 40 years of hard work the U.S. spent in building an excellent relationship with europe and all in just a few years. Quite an accomplishment.

He has alienated just about every muslim on the planet.

He's now turning his 'charm' on the Chinese with similar effects.

He has managed to eliminate the Clinton budget supluses and run up a record deficit by handing out trillions of dollars in tax cuts mainly to his already extremely rich friends.

He has increased american debt even further by borrowing every cent used to fight his personal crusade in Iraq for which he lied to the american people to gain their support. (This is in addition to the budget deficit as he hasn't funded this through the budget)

He has introduced torture as a 'repectable' means to glean information.

The list just goes on and on... of Bush's 'achievements'

Art said:
When Clinton was leaving office the budget surpluses he was accumulating had the U.S. on track to eliminate the national debt entirely by the year 2010. This would have saved, due to the reduction of debt servicing, 12 cents in each tax dollar to further reduce taxes or increase services.
He handed over the economy and U.S. society in it's best shape ever.
Well, almost it's best shape ever - it peaked around 6 months before he left office and was in a full-fledged death spiral by the time he actually left. Anyway...

cronxeh, yes, they US has a lot of debt - but have you checked recently the debt to income ratio of most other developed countries? The US's is relatively low. After France collapses into anarchy (full-fledged, not that little riot they just had) and the US comes near where France is economically today, then I'll start worrying.

Getting slightly off topic but in response to Russ - the French are in political turmoil - they hate Chirac but will not elect Le Penn - the quote from the last election was "elect the crook not the Facist". :P

One must note, thought, that the US and France exist in very different geopolitical spheres and as such they are not comparable. Although the interdependancy of nations and a major dependancy on the US means any slump in America will send major ripples nearly all the way around the world.

Well about 23 percent is owed to foreign entities, but most of the national debt is to federal reserve and government accounts - about 40 percent, and private pension funds- about 7 percent, and other institutions.
It is interesting to see how the Republicans managed to fund their activities supposedly throughout the years:

And France with their meager 60 million population and $35 billion military budget/year is not really a good example. I'd say whatever bad can happen to them will happen 5 fold to the US if we come anywhere near that economic crunching point

Interesting chart cronxeh. It highlights the difference in fiscal policy magnificently.

russ_watters said:
Well, almost it's best shape ever - it peaked around 6 months before he left office and was in a full-fledged death spiral by the time he actually left. Anyway...
The ecomomy began to slip as Clinton's presidency ended because business people in general and foreign investors in particular were worried about the prospect of a republican president given their previous dire record on controlling spending. The same used to happen in Britain when it appeared a labour gov't was in the offing for the same reasons.

cronxeh said:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/pdf/hist.pdf [Broken]

I'd just like to point out that the U.S. is not Soviet Russia.

Futobingoro said:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/pdf/hist.pdf [Broken]

Which page particularly you'd like me to read? If you have something that proves me wrong, make sure you quote it correctly rather than make a troll out of yourself

cronxeh said:
Which page particularly you'd like me to read? If you have something that proves me wrong, make sure you quote it correctly rather than make a troll out of yourself
I think he's inadvertantly agreeing with you. Instead of clearing the national debt by 2010 as planned by Clinton according to his document the current gov'ts budget projections says debt will total $11,137,297,000,000 by that date. :rolleyes:

cronxeh said:
Which page particularly you'd like me to read?
So you haven't studied the US budget.

Apparently one does not need to know anything about the budget to be critical of George Bush's budget policy.
cronxeh said:
the Bush dynasty has increased military budget - from 2001 to 2005 the budget rose by 100 Billion dollars annually, among other things.
Let's take a look at the defense budget from 2001-2005:

2001 - $290 billion (up $9 billion from the year prior)
2002 - $332 billion (up $42 billion)
2003 - $389 billion (up $57 billion)
2004 - $437 billion (up $48 billion)
2005 - $444 billion (up $7 billion)

And for 2006 (projected):

2006 - $426 billion (down $18 billion)

The defense budget increases are not even close to $100 billion annually.
Art said:
I think he's inadvertantly agreeing with you. Instead of clearing the national debt by 2010 as planned by Clinton according to his document the current gov'ts budget projections says debt will total $11,137,297,000,000 by that date.
If the Democrats want a reduction in the deficit, they must agree to cuts in Health and Human Services and Social Security. Trends in HHS and Social Security suggest that these two will become unsustainable. The two departments, according to projections, will account for over $1,500,000,000,000 in 2010.

I don't think you can throw a deficit sized ball into the hole of a welfare state - citing UK and other nations as examples - a welfare state with a National Health Service and Pensions can work without creating a major deficit.

-NS

cronxeh said:
And France with their meager 60 million population and $35 billion military budget/year is not really a good example. I'd say whatever bad can happen to them will happen 5 fold to the US if we come anywhere near that economic crunching point
Certainly it would be worse for us (and the rest of the world), but my point was to get you to look up how near we are to that crunching point in relation to another country like France. Ie:

France's debt-to-gdp ratio is 68%.
The US's debt-to-gdp ratio is 24%.

Yes, that's right - the US's national debt would have to more than double for us to be in the same economic predicament France is in.
Art said:
The ecomomy began to slip as Clinton's presidency ended because business people in general and foreign investors in particular were worried about the prospect of a republican president given their previous dire record on controlling spending. The same used to happen in Britain when it appeared a labour gov't was in the offing for the same reasons.
Yes, I've heard that argument before - extrordinary prescience, that the business community knew 6 months before the election that Gore would lose, yet Gore didn't even know until 3 weeks after the election! :rolleyes:

The real truth is that Clinton rode the wave of an internet boom he had little to do with. He rode it up and when the bottom fell out (as it was destined to - the market was overvalued), he rode it down part-way, then handed it to Bush to try to pull it out of the death-spiral.

In addition, the Clintons were lucky that they were a mediocre President: they attempted, and failed, to pass the largest increase in government spending since Social Security. But since he failed, he gets to claim success! :uhh:

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Certainly it would be worse for us (and the rest of the world), but my point was to get you to look up how near we are to that crunching point in relation to another country like France. Ie:
Yes, that's right - the US's national debt would have to more than double for us to be in the same economic predicament France is in. Yes, I've heard that argument before - extrordinary prescience, that the business community knew 6 months before the election that Gore would lose, yet Gore didn't even know until 3 weeks after the election! :rolleyes:
The real truth is that Clinton rode the wave of an internet boom he had little to do with. He rode it up and when the bottom fell out (as it was destined to - the market was overvalued), he rode it down part-way, then handed it to Bush to try to pull it out of the death-spiral.
In addition, the Clintons were lucky that they were a mediocre President: they attempted, and failed, to pass the largest increase in government spending since Social Security. But since he failed, he gets to claim success! :uhh:

What you say here is pretty much correct. Clinton can not really be given credit for the boom, or blame for the bust. It is an example of how little effect the president actually has on the economy. Unless, of course, they do something completely stupid, like start an unnecessary war. Bush can and should take full blame for the current situation. In a worst case scenario, the Bushes and their good buddy Ronny Raygun will be seen as the beginning of the end of the American civilization.

We need to keep in mind that at least 3 generations must pass before the true place in history is know for any event or president. The true effect of Reagan and the Bushes will not be know until the adulthood of our grandchildren. All we can do now is express biased opinions.

That last post was not really much on topic of this thread. I apologize.

I wonder what level of natural disaster will be required to precipitate the decline and fall of the American economy. Perhaps the possible Richter 9 earthquake in the Pacific Northwest could be the trigger. Just imagine Seattle and San Francisco suddenly below sea level, the entire population of the pacific from San Francisco to The Olympic peninsula homeless. All bridges across the Columbia, gone; the Columbia dams, gone; Portland, gone.

Sorry no time to continue, but how could the nation recover from this disaster?

russ_watters said:
Yes, I've heard that argument before - extrordinary prescience, that the business community knew 6 months before the election that Gore would lose, yet Gore didn't even know until 3 weeks after the election! :rolleyes:
:confused: Not exactly prescient, just prudent. It's not unusual for people to move out of the market until they see how an event plays out. If you followed the markets even remotely you'd know that.
russ_watters said:
That's funny I remember you arguing on another thread that the internet boom was only a tiny part of America's economy but now that that no longer fits your argument it has suddenly become the lynch pin of the economy. At least make an effort to be consistant. :rolleyes:
BTW isn't it an amazing coincidence that the economy boomed only throughout his term in office.
russ_watters said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry but this is just nonsense. Clinton stated from the start he was going to balance the budget, the republicans first tried to stop him by pushing through huge tax decreases for the wealthy which he vetoed (you might remember it closed the gov't down as they tagged them onto the main budget bill). When plan 'A' didn't work they then had the gall to try to make it look like balanced budgets were their idea by trying to push through the balanced budget act. :rofl: They really have no shame. BTW I wonder what happened to that policy after they got their republican president in?? :biggrin:

The current deficit is entirely due to the neocons warmongering and the enormous tax decreases for the wealthy. Bush even boasts about his tax reductions being the largest for over 20 years!

I don't care what anyone's position is on whether Clinton just rode the dot-com bubble or not. (Having said that, I do agree with Integral: the president has very little effect on the economy unless he changes something large, like implementing large tax cuts or going to war.) The truth that cannot be denied is that a) there was a budget surplus when Clinton left office that was going to level our debt, and b) that there is now a sizable budget deficit, mostly due to Bush's tax cuts and war. Instead of tax and spend, we have tax and borrow. Really conservative.

Furthermore, our GDP-to-debt ratio in comparison with France's is completely irrelevant. Our economy is magnitudes larger than theirs, and as such, works completely differently. For one thing, the strength of many smaller nations' currencies depends on the strength of our dollar, which means that if confidence is lost in it, it could have a resounding effect throughout the world, multiplying the effect by several fold. At the same time, France has a much lesser effect on the strength of the Euro.

Integral said:
We need to keep in mind that at least 3 generations must pass before the true place in history is know for any event or president. The true effect of Reagan and the Bushes will not be know until the adulthood of our grandchildren. All we can do now is express biased opinions.
I've always thought it was 20 years, but then, I'm impatient...
That last post was not really much on topic of this thread. I apologize.

I wonder what level of natural disaster will be required to precipitate the decline and fall of the American economy. Perhaps the possible Richter 9 earthquake in the Pacific Northwest could be the trigger. Just imagine Seattle and San Francisco suddenly below sea level, the entire population of the pacific from San Francisco to The Olympic peninsula homeless. All bridges across the Columbia, gone; the Columbia dams, gone; Portland, gone.

Sorry no time to continue, but how could the nation recover from this disaster?
A 9.0 earthquake up there would be rough, but submerge Seattle? I doubt it. I suppose you're talking about a tsunami, but San Francisco is pretty high up for a coastal city - a check off Google Earth shows that half a mile inland, it's 90 feet above sea level.

I really think Katrina is about the worst mother nature has to offer for the US. It cost roughly $100 billion. About the only thing worse would be a Cat5 hurricane making landfall in Miami and bisecting Florida.

Art - find that quote, because that doesn't sound like something I'd say. I've always been very consistent in saying that the President has little effect on the economy. Also, do you know what failed policy I was referring to? And uncertainty is one thing, but what the economy did in 2000 was far beyond what uncertainty gives you - especially considering that people had every reason to believe Clintons policies would continue with a Gore win (with the economy riding high, he would have been shoo-in).

Manchot said:
The truth that cannot be denied is that a) there was a budget surplus when Clinton left office that was going to level our debt,
That is only "true" if you ignore the fact that the economy is cyclical, make unrealistic estimates of it's future gains, and make promises for other Presidents to keep that Clinton wouldn't have kept (that's the best part about promises for when you're already out of office!). In short, such speculation is utterly meaningless.
Furthermore, our GDP-to-debt ratio in comparison with France's is completely irrelevant. Our economy is magnitudes larger than theirs, and as such, works completely differently.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It works differently because it's bigger? That's absurd. It works differently because France's government is driving their economy into the ground.
For one thing, the strength of many smaller nations' currencies depends on the strength of our dollar, which means that if confidence is lost in it, it could have a resounding effect throughout the world, multiplying the effect by several fold. [emphasis added]
As you say, that's an effect - that has nothing to do with your assertion that our economy functions differently.
At the same time, France has a much lesser effect on the strength of the Euro.
That's true, but it has the opposite effect that you are implying it has on France's economy: that works to stabilize and strengthen France's economy. So that doesn't support your assertion either: being small should make France's economy more stable and stronger.

russ_watters said:
That is only "true" if you ignore the fact that the economy is cyclical, make unrealistic estimates of it's future gains, and make promises for other Presidents to keep that Clinton wouldn't have kept (that's the best part about promises for when you're already out of office!). In short, such speculation is utterly meaningless.
Ok. Emphasis on "budget surplus" then? Is that better? What do we have now? Please don't tell me you're planning to argue that our current deficits are the result of our cyclical economy. Because to the best of my knowledge, it's also a fact that Bush has cut taxes and drawn us into war. But surely that has nothing to do with it...

And promises like what? Like "I'm not going to drive our country into massive debt?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It works differently because it's bigger?
Umm...yes? Surely you weren't expecting me to say anything different?

That's absurd. It works differently because France's government is driving their economy into the ground.
You could argue that. But on an even more fundamental level, they're different because the U.S. economy is so much larger and more globally important than the French economy.

As you say, that's an effect - that has nothing to do with your assertion that our economy functions differently.
It's an effect that exists because of the fact that our economies function differently.

That's true, but it has the opposite effect that you are implying it has on France's economy: that works to stabilize and strengthen France's economy. So that doesn't support your assertion either: being small should make France's economy more stable and stronger.
Unless I'm mistaken, he's talking about the effect the state of the French economy has on the rest of the world. He's saying that this is small compared to the effect the state of the American economy has on the rest of the world. Naturally, since so much depends on the strength of the dollar, people are unlikely to allow the U.S. to amass a large GDP-to-debt ratio without acting in some way, often with negative effects on the American economy. The high GDP-to-debt ratio in France has a much smaller effect, so people don't care as much. Among other things. But that's one aspect of it.

russ_watters said:
I don't mean to be nitpicky, but the http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/pdf/hist.pdf [Broken] is 65.7% of GDP for 2005. I might be missing some technicality here (public or federal debt), but the gross US debt is 65.7% of GDP.

Futobingoro said:
I don't mean to be nitpicky, but the http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/pdf/hist.pdf [Broken] is 65.7% of GDP for 2005. I might be missing some technicality here (public or federal debt), but the gross US debt is 65.7% of GDP.
The technicality is that if you have the money in your own account, it's surplus in another area - so you subtract that from your debt to find your net debt. One column to the right of the one you were looking at... (actually, my data may have been old - it's 26.5% for 2004).
Archon said:
But on an even more fundamental level, they're different because the U.S. economy is so much larger and more globally important than the French economy.
Could someone at least make an effort to prove that?? Just saying it and repeating it doesn't make it true.

Again, (your follow-up points), having a different effect on the world economy does not in any way imply that it functions differently.

Ie, the stat that I listed (debt to gdp) means that France needs to have some of the highest taxes in the developed world to finance it's debt, yet the citizens don't see that money...because it's going to finance the debt. That is a straightforward economic concept that works exactly the same if you are France, the US, or my neighbor Bob Smith who has 3 morgages on his house (caveat: Bob Smith doesn't exist, but the concept is the same for in-debt Americans). There are, of course, differences in how banks treat you if you are an individual or a country, but that doesn't change the fact that the underlying concept that debt reduces your disposable income.

<h2>1. What are the common causes of economic collapses in the past?</h2><p>Some of the common causes of economic collapses in the past include financial bubbles, excessive debt, government policies, and external shocks such as natural disasters or wars. These factors can lead to a sudden decline in economic activity and financial instability.</p><h2>2. How can we use historical data to predict and prevent future economic collapses?</h2><p>By analyzing past economic collapses, we can identify patterns and trends that may indicate a potential crisis. This can help policymakers and individuals make informed decisions and take preventive measures to mitigate the risk of another collapse. Additionally, studying past collapses can also provide insights into effective strategies for recovery.</p><h2>3. What role does regulation play in preventing economic collapses?</h2><p>Regulation is crucial in preventing economic collapses by setting standards and guidelines for financial institutions and markets. It helps to prevent risky and irresponsible behavior that can lead to a collapse. However, excessive regulation can also stifle economic growth, so finding a balance is essential.</p><h2>4. How can we prepare ourselves for an economic collapse?</h2><p>To prepare for an economic collapse, individuals can focus on building a strong financial foundation by saving money, reducing debt, and diversifying their investments. It is also essential to stay informed about the state of the economy and make necessary adjustments to your financial plan accordingly.</p><h2>5. Can economic collapses be beneficial in any way?</h2><p>While economic collapses can have devastating effects, they can also lead to positive changes in the long run. They can expose weaknesses in the economy and prompt necessary reforms. Additionally, they can create opportunities for innovation and growth, as seen in the recovery after the Great Depression and the 2008 financial crisis.</p>

1. What are the common causes of economic collapses in the past?

Some of the common causes of economic collapses in the past include financial bubbles, excessive debt, government policies, and external shocks such as natural disasters or wars. These factors can lead to a sudden decline in economic activity and financial instability.

2. How can we use historical data to predict and prevent future economic collapses?

By analyzing past economic collapses, we can identify patterns and trends that may indicate a potential crisis. This can help policymakers and individuals make informed decisions and take preventive measures to mitigate the risk of another collapse. Additionally, studying past collapses can also provide insights into effective strategies for recovery.

3. What role does regulation play in preventing economic collapses?

Regulation is crucial in preventing economic collapses by setting standards and guidelines for financial institutions and markets. It helps to prevent risky and irresponsible behavior that can lead to a collapse. However, excessive regulation can also stifle economic growth, so finding a balance is essential.

4. How can we prepare ourselves for an economic collapse?

To prepare for an economic collapse, individuals can focus on building a strong financial foundation by saving money, reducing debt, and diversifying their investments. It is also essential to stay informed about the state of the economy and make necessary adjustments to your financial plan accordingly.

5. Can economic collapses be beneficial in any way?

While economic collapses can have devastating effects, they can also lead to positive changes in the long run. They can expose weaknesses in the economy and prompt necessary reforms. Additionally, they can create opportunities for innovation and growth, as seen in the recovery after the Great Depression and the 2008 financial crisis.