When the going gets tough

• Thread starter rhia
  • Start date
In summary: Being poor makes it hard, but it makes it great because you learn how to appreciate the little things in life. You learn to work hard and be persistent, and that's what makes you successful.
rhia
I can't think of any better place to ask this.
I believe most of people here have overcome many obstacles to become what they are.
How do you keep yourself going when life gets tough?
What inspires you to overcome the difficulties?

regards
rHia

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an easy question, the tough events keep me going. Do not think of things as difficult, just as something you have to finish. I have no clue what you are referring to, so it is difficult to give any advice.

I don't usually overcome obstacles; I either ignore them or go around. :approve:

when the going gets tough i only start goin, lol, i don't think of the present, i think of the reward in the furure

I tend to have conversations with myself...Kind of makes me feel like Gollum, but it works for me.

Self{says I}, this really going to be ugly, but you know you've seen things that were so much worse.
{self says} Yes, but it dosen't make it any easier, it never makes it easier.
{says I} But you've made it this far
{self says} Not because I wanted to, I HAD to.
{say I} Your right, you half to, there is no other choice.

I do that too, but it usually turns out slightly different

{I say} Geeze, not again.
{says self} It's a ***** ain't it.
{I say} So, how do we deal with this in the most constructive way?
{says self} Well, if we just keep our head down and work hard we'll get through, it'll be tough though.
{I say} Wanna just lie again?
{says self} I was hoping you'd say that.
{I say} Deal then.

when the going gets tough I quit

just think of how glad you will be when you are done...

and try not to think of how much fun you didn't have because you were doing it.

As W.C. Fields said: "If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it."

The most important thing to maintain (whatever it is you're doing) is hope that you will accomplish it or get through. Try not to let it interfere with your happiness, and keep going no matter what new circumstance comes along.

rhia said:
I believe most of people here have overcome many obstacles to become what they are.

regards
rHia

I know what it's like to be poor.

rhia said:

regards
rHia
I've always liked that quote from "A League of Their Own" by the manager, Jimmy Dugan (played by Tom Hanks),
- "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."

1. What does the phrase "when the going gets tough" mean?

The phrase "when the going gets tough" is a common idiom that means when a situation becomes difficult or challenging.

2. How do people typically respond when the going gets tough?

People may respond in different ways when faced with a tough situation. Some may become more determined and work harder to overcome the challenge, while others may become discouraged and give up.

3. What are some techniques for dealing with tough situations?

Some techniques for dealing with tough situations include staying positive, breaking the problem down into smaller, manageable parts, seeking support from others, and staying focused on the end goal.

4. Can tough situations have positive outcomes?

Yes, tough situations can often lead to positive outcomes. They can help individuals grow and develop resilience, and may also lead to new opportunities and solutions.

5. How can we prepare for when the going gets tough?

One way to prepare for tough situations is to develop strong problem-solving and coping skills. It can also be helpful to have a support system in place and to maintain a positive mindset.