1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When the Sun is directly overhead, a hawk dives toward the ground with a constant vel

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    When the Sun is directly overhead, a hawk dives toward the ground with a constant velocity of 4.15 m/s at 54.5° below the horizontal. Calculate the speed of her shadow on the level ground.1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

vxi=vicosθ vyi=visinθ (i think)

3. The attempt at a solution
    360-54.5=305.5
    4.15cos305.5=-2.99i
    4.15sin305.5=-2.88j
    then get the modulus of the vector for the speed. Gave me 4.155
    Its wrong though?
    Help?
    Tell me where I went wrong and where to begin
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2
    Re: When the Sun is directly overhead, a hawk dives toward the ground with a constant

Where is the original question?

4. Mar 7, 2012 #3
    Re: When the Sun is directly overhead, a hawk dives toward the ground with a constant

oops sorry!

5. Mar 7, 2012 #4

Is your calculator in radians or degrees?

6. Mar 7, 2012 #5

it was on radians! Thank you! I got the right answer!

7. Mar 7, 2012 #6

Careful Careful... Make sure you never forget this during a test!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook