When Should I Apply ΔH After Calculating Q in Thermodynamics?

• Thread starter yuh_yuh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between using ΔH and Q in scientific calculations, when to use each one, and their units and formulas. It is important to use both ΔH and Q in calculations involving both a chemical reaction and a physical process, and they provide valuable information about energy changes in a system.
yuh_yuh
TL;DR Summary
I just need help to understand when to apply ΔH T^T
I understand the difference between ΔH and Q, but when I calculate Q will I always calculate ΔH after it?

• Skeptical
Likes chemisttree
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Always? , relate at least one situation in which you need to do it.

yuh_yuh said:
Summary:: I just need help to understand when to apply ΔH T^T

I understand the difference between ΔH and Q, but when I calculate Q will I always calculate ΔH after it?
Do you know the difference between the definitions of ##\Delta H## and Q?

1. When should I use ΔH and when should I use Q in my calculations?

ΔH and Q are both measures of energy, but they represent different types of energy. ΔH, or enthalpy, is used to measure the heat transferred during a process at constant pressure. Q, on the other hand, is used to measure the heat transferred during a process at any pressure. Therefore, if the process is at constant pressure, use ΔH. If the process is not at constant pressure, use Q.

2. Can I use ΔH and Q interchangeably in my calculations?

No, ΔH and Q cannot be used interchangeably. As mentioned before, they represent different types of energy and are used in different situations. Using the wrong measure can result in incorrect calculations.

3. How do I determine the sign of ΔH and Q in my calculations?

The sign of ΔH and Q depends on the direction of the process. If the process is exothermic, meaning heat is released, ΔH and Q will have a negative sign. If the process is endothermic, meaning heat is absorbed, ΔH and Q will have a positive sign.

4. Can I use ΔH and Q to calculate the energy of a chemical reaction?

Yes, ΔH and Q can be used to calculate the energy of a chemical reaction. ΔH is often used to calculate the heat of reaction, which is the change in enthalpy during a chemical reaction. Q can also be used to calculate the heat of reaction, but it is more commonly used to measure the heat transfer during the reaction.

5. Are there any other factors I need to consider when using ΔH and Q in my calculations?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the accuracy of your calculations when using ΔH and Q. These include the assumptions made about the system, the type of process (e.g. reversible or irreversible), and the presence of any other energy transfers (e.g. work). It is important to carefully consider these factors when using ΔH and Q in your calculations.