1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When to get Reference Letters

1. Dec 19, 2012 #1
    I just finished 1st semester of my third year in an engineering program in Ontario, Canada. I have excellent grades and would like some advice regarding reference letters for grad school (probably masters) in engineering.

I learned that most application deadlines, for U.S. schools, are in December. This means I would be asking Profs for letters before even finishing their course and getting a good mark. Does this mean I should be getting reference letters from my Profs from 2nd semester of 3rd year?

Also, how would I go about cultivating a relationship with a couple of Profs? Just going to office hours, pretending to have questions? I have an industry internship during the summer between 3rd and 4th year so I won't be able to do research and get a reference letter that way. I do have a 4th year project course which will be supervised by a Prof, but again I would need to ask for a reference letter before any evaluations take place.

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted