When to Parametrise: Explaining b(iii)

• Thread starter Gregg
  • Start date
In summary: How do you do it?In summary, the homework statement is asking for help with a problem that is not clear, and the person is asking for more information. They also mention that the textbook is not helpful.
Gregg

Homework Statement

matrix1.jpg

I've done the first parts. b(iii) I don't understand, the mark scheme uses a parameter to solve it. (x=t). I don't understand why it's necessary, actually I can get a solution? The textbook is rubbish that's why I'm asking so much. An explanation would be good.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because when p=1,q=8 and r=0, 24p-3q-r=0 right?

So in the augmented matrix, you will have an entire row of zeroes. Which means you will have an infinite number of solutions, which will all depend on a parameter,t.

How exactly do you do it? Does matter which you parametrise? the text doesn't give a clear definition and explanation.

Here's the example

solve
x-3y+4z=4
2x-y+3z=8
3x+y+2x=12

Solution:

To eliminate y (3)x3 + (1)

10x+10z=40

(2)+(3)

5x+5z=40

Setting z=t, a parameter gives x=4-1. Substituting in equation 3, 12-3t + y + 2t=12

y=t

{x,y,z} = {4,0,0} + t{-1,1,1} A common line.

No it doesn't really matter which one you set as t.

Just once you eliminate one variable from the three equations and then make one equation from the remaining two, you can set either as the parameter and get the same answer.

Back in (bi) you showed that the given system of equations never has a unique solution, presumably by showing that the determinant of the coefficient matrix was 0. (a= b so (a-b)= 0)

So for given p, q, r, the system either has no solution or has an infinite number of solutions. In (bii) you showed that if 24p- 3q- r= 0, the system is "consistent", so has at least one solution and so has and infinite number of solutions.

Now, with p= 1, q= 8, and r= 0 24p- 3q- r= 24(1)- 3(8)- 0= 0 so this system has an infinite number of solutions. You cannot expect to get a unique solution. You need a parameter to get all solutions. Basically, you cannot solve for specific values of x, y, and z but you can solve for two of them in terms of the other one. Use that one as parameter.

HallsofIvy said:
Back in (bi) you showed that the given system of equations never has a unique solution, presumably by showing that the determinant of the coefficient matrix was 0. (a= b so (a-b)= 0)

So for given p, q, r, the system either has no solution or has an infinite number of solutions. In (bii) you showed that if 24p- 3q- r= 0, the system is "consistent", so has at least one solution and so has and infinite number of solutions.

Now, with p= 1, q= 8, and r= 0 24p- 3q- r= 24(1)- 3(8)- 0= 0 so this system has an infinite number of solutions. You cannot expect to get a unique solution. You need a parameter to get all solutions. Basically, you cannot solve for specific values of x, y, and z but you can solve for two of them in terms of the other one. Use that one as parameter.

It doesn't seem to work when I try to do it.

1. When should I parametrize a function?

The decision to parametrize a function depends on the complexity of the function and the purpose of the parametrization. In general, parametrization is useful when the function involves multiple variables and it can simplify calculations or make the function more general.

2. What is the benefit of parametrizing a function?

Parametrization allows for a more efficient and flexible way of representing a function. It can simplify calculations and make it easier to generalize the function for different inputs. Additionally, it can make the function more interpretable and easier to understand.

3. How do I choose the parameters for parametrization?

The parameters for parametrization should be chosen based on the variables that are most relevant to the function and its purpose. They should also be chosen in a way that simplifies the function and makes it more general. It may require some trial and error to find the most suitable parameters.

4. Can any function be parametrized?

Not all functions can be easily parametrized. The complexity and structure of the function may make it difficult to find suitable parameters. Additionally, parametrization may not always be necessary, especially for simple functions with few variables.

5. Are there any drawbacks to parametrizing a function?

Parametrization can sometimes make a function more complex and difficult to understand. It may also introduce additional parameters that are not relevant to the original function. In some cases, it may not be worth the effort to parametrize a function if it does not provide any significant benefits.