1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When to take Quantum Mech.

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1
    Hello all, I've been lurking these forums for quite some time and now run into an issue of what classes i am taking this coming fall semester. I'm entering my junior year so i am just beginning to take my upper division courses as a physics major, but am largely confused as to whether i should take QM this year or wait until my senior year. As of now my fall schedule is the following.

Phys 2501W : Lab - This is basically the undergraduate lab, which from what i have heard is not all the hard but time consuming because of the lab reports and what not.
    Phys 3101 : Mechanics 1 - Using Morin's Intro to Classical Mechanics
    Phys 3201 : E&M 1 - Using Griffiths
    Math 2210 : Linear Algebra - Sophomore level course
    Then either Phys 3401 : QM 1 - Using Griffiths OR a gen ed req. (probably bio)

Thus far i've taken Calc 1, 2, 3 (multi and vector), and Diff Eq's, Calc based physics (Halliday & Resnic), and modern physics ( krane's modern physics).

Anyway, my main concern is that if i take QM this year then this semester might be to much to handle so i wondering if you guys thought this would be a good idea. My main reason for wanting to take it this year is because some senior electives that i would like to take require QM as a Prereq ( like intro to particle physics ), but on the other hand if i wait until my senior year to take it then i will also have linear algebra and a course on complex variable under my belt ( taking complex variable in the spring).
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted