1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When to use Tsin(theta)=mv^2/r and Tsin(theta)=mg?Please help me out

1. Sep 19, 2004 #1
    When to use Tsin(theta)=mv^2/r and Tsin(theta)=mg????Please help me out!!!!!!!

Hi i am quite good on horizontal and vertical circular motion,but i always get confused by this formulae,Tsin(theta)=mv^2/r and T cos(theta)=mg.In what situation i should use sin or coz formula coz i always end up using the wrong formula all the time.i use sin instead of cos and cos instead of sin as i dont know under what circumstance i should use these.Is this related to vertical or horizontal circular motion?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2004 #2
    Why don't you draw a sketch of the problem? You could then pick whichever angle you want, and resolve the components of T whichever way you want.

4. Sep 19, 2004 #3
    Thanx for your reply devious

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?