When two things rub against each other for cleaning, are atoms transferred?

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
kenny1999
when two things rub against each other, it is likely that atoms may lose or exchange from the surface, right? In kitchen, abrasive sponge and scrubber is very commonly used, if you normally clean by scrubbing a cookware or dishware with a sponge or scrubber, could it lose some atoms or chemicals from the cookware to the food and cause health problems? It's a question that has been long in my mind but hardly find any answer.

Answers and Replies

anuttarasammyak
Gold Member
Good amount of iron as important supplement for human health is supplied to food from iron pans and iron knives when cooking. Ordinary iron goods are better for it than stainless steel ones.

Last edited:
Rive
Science Advisor
Ordinary iron goods are better for it than stainless steel ones.
That's a bit of a stretch here. The reason why you can't buy pre-seasoned iron cookware and has to do it yourself is, that no way to get permission to sell such stuff. Oil and/or fat burned and cooked at low temperature till it partly carbonized... Honestly, I think the only reason it's not banned is that it's traditional and nobody bothered to look seriously.

if you normally clean by scrubbing a cookware or dishware with a sponge or scrubber, could it lose some atoms or chemicals from the cookware to the food and cause health problems?
In short, they are recognized as cookware because as long as you keep the requirements for cleaning and usage you won't get anything harmful in the food.

But: not all cookware is eligible for all cleaning methods. With incorrect methods it's possible to ruin cookware.

Last edited:
berkeman
Mentor
could it lose some atoms or chemicals from the cookware to the food and cause health problems?
As long as you eat a handful of dirt each day, you should be fine. I've been doing that since I was a kid... :wink:

Suggested for: When two things rub against each other for cleaning, are atoms transferred?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views