When We Left Earth: Awe-Inspiring Space Program Accomplishments

• Thread starter MattRob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary: They are both amazing and give a great overview of the space program and our understanding of the universe.
MattRob
Just finished this series on DVD. That was spectacular! I'm a little sad/surprised it didn't mention Apollo docking to Mir, or the shuttle visiting Mir. But it was great to see that bit about Skylab; I never knew that.

And I always thought the Hubble repair mission happened after Columbia. I guess not?

Anyways, fantastic series, and the composer who made the soundtrack has made excerpts of it freely available*.

*See video description for link to composer's site.
Darn, though. The whole thing is just so extremely inspiring. I'm just in awe, and the soundtrack was amazing. Anyone else get like, this feeling of hope and accomplishment of/for humanity from that, or just from the space program's accomplishments in general?

I have to say, though, this rivals "Voyage to the Planets" and "Alien Planet" for my favorite space-related thing I've ever seen.

(Also, I couldn't decide if this belongs in the other forum because it's TV, but it's also not science fiction...)

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
MattRob said:
Just finished this series on DVD. That was spectacular! I'm a little sad/surprised it didn't mention Apollo docking to Mir ...

Probably because it didn't happen. Did you mean the Apollo/Soyuz Test Project in 1975, the first joint US-Soviet space flight and the last flight of an Apollo?

Jonathan Scott said:
Probably because it didn't happen. Did you mean the Apollo/Soyuz Test Project in 1975, the first joint US-Soviet space flight and the last flight of an Apollo?

Yeah, that'd be it, heh.

MattRob said:
I have to say, though, this rivals "Voyage to the Planets" and "Alien Planet" for my favorite space-related thing I've ever seen.
Have you seen either of the Cosmos series? If not, I highly recommend watching both. Start with the "old" one (Carl Sagan), then watch the newer version with Neil deGrasse Tyson.

I completely understand and share your feeling of awe and inspiration from watching "When We Left Earth." It truly is a fantastic series that highlights the incredible accomplishments of the space program.

I also noticed the absence of the Apollo docking to Mir and the shuttle visiting Mir in the series, but I believe the focus was more on the American space program rather than the international collaborations. However, it is important to acknowledge and appreciate the contributions of other countries in space exploration.

Regarding the Hubble repair mission, it did indeed happen before the Columbia disaster. The series may have just presented it in a different order for storytelling purposes.

I completely agree with you on the amazing soundtrack and the feeling of hope and accomplishment it brings. The space program's achievements are a testament to the determination and ingenuity of humanity, and it is truly inspiring to see what we are capable of achieving.

I also love "Voyage to the Planets" and "Alien Planet," but "When We Left Earth" definitely holds a special place in my heart as well. It is a reminder of how far we have come in our exploration of the universe and how much more we can accomplish in the future. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the series.

1. What is "When We Left Earth: Awe-Inspiring Space Program Accomplishments"?

"When We Left Earth: Awe-Inspiring Space Program Accomplishments" is a documentary series that chronicles the history of space exploration, from the early days of the Mercury program to the present day. It features rare and never-before-seen footage and interviews with NASA astronauts and engineers.

2. How many episodes are there in "When We Left Earth: Awe-Inspiring Space Program Accomplishments"?

There are six episodes in the series, each about 45 minutes long.

3. What makes "When We Left Earth: Awe-Inspiring Space Program Accomplishments" unique?

The series includes rare and unseen footage from NASA's archives, as well as interviews with astronauts and engineers who were involved in the space program. It also covers the entire history of space exploration, from the early days of the Mercury program to the latest missions to Mars.

4. Is "When We Left Earth: Awe-Inspiring Space Program Accomplishments" scientifically accurate?

Yes, the series is based on real events and includes interviews with scientists and engineers who were involved in the space program. However, it should be noted that some footage may have been edited for dramatic effect.

5. Can children watch "When We Left Earth: Awe-Inspiring Space Program Accomplishments"?

The series is suitable for all ages, but some episodes may contain intense or emotional scenes. Parents may want to preview the series before allowing young children to watch.